abuse?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abuse?

I am concerned about a teenage friend but I don't want to interfere in another family's matters. I don't really "know" anything but my kids think the other kids family slap her and treat her differently than the other kids in the family. I believe the teenager accepts this as normal for them and just what she has to get-thru until she graduates from high school and can get out. I think some of this has to do with cultural differences as to what is acceptable behavior. I don't really think she is in danger, just miserable. It worries me, makes me sad and I wish there was something I could to do help.

Re: abuse?

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. It seems that you are a very concerned and good friend. Thanks for reaching out and seeking assistance to help with your friend. We are sorry to hear about your friend’s current situation with her family. Nobody deserves to be slapped or mistreated. Do you know how long the mistreatment has been going on? Would you be able to obtain additional details about her mistreatment if needed?

It seems that you may be unsure if the behavior that is currently taking place is considered abuse. You may contact Child Protective Services or the Child Abuse Hotline in your state and deliver your concerns with them. The Child Abuse Hotline will be able to verify what type of behavior constitutes abuse. If it is determined to be abuse, you may be able to file a child abuse report with the Child Abuse Hotline.

You may also choose to speak with your friend to figure out if she feels safe at home. If your friend feels unsafe at home, you can discuss the possibility of going to a Youth shelter in your city or other housing options. There are safe place programs available in most states that could provide emergency sheltering. More information about these programs can be found at http://www.nationalsafeplace.org . You can also provide your friend with our telephone number, 1800RUNAWAY, and explained to her that we have a crisis line that is confidential, anonymous, and available 24 hours 7 days.

Thanks again for contacting us. Remember that you can also contact us and someone will always be available to take your call.

We wish you and your friend the Best of Luck!

~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X