Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 years old. I want to run away.

I am very scared because my dad has gone on a business trip and I am at home with my mother. We have never been able to really speak to one another, and I don't like to because of the tension in her voice constantly, like we could get into a fight any second. She does treat me well, but I am so scared of being around her and having to speak to her that I want to just run. I know that this is not the right thing to do, but I don't want to talk about my problems. I am afraid to speak to either of my parents without another adult there to help me. I can talk to my dad a little, but I don't want to get him involved in this because I don't want to put any more strain on him. My mother has been yelling at him for a while now at night, and it makes me worried. I talk to my friends and they give me comfort, but it doesn't help enough. I need some help here.

Re: 12 years old. I want to run away.

Hello,

We appreciate you taking the time reach out to us at the National Runaway Switchboard. We are not in the position to tell you what to do or to force ideas on you or out of you but we are committed to helping you figure out ways to try resolve the situation at home. We see that you have realized that there are benefits to having a joint sit down with your parents and another adult. How about a conference call instead?

At NRS, we provide various programs and services to our callers. The purpose of these services is to assist with conflict resolution in the home. Whether you decide to leave or stay, we welcome a call from you anytime, from anywhere, toll free from any pay phone, 24 hours a day. If you wish to set up some time to talk to one of our trained liners, we are here to support you or provide other resources.

The conference call provides the opportunity for you to voice your feelings to your family in a manner that is open and structured to enhance communication at home. We seek to help you in order to better your own situation. It may help you feel empowered. We set up rules for you and your family to speak without interruptions or fear of repercussions later. Therefore, since you are now feeling scared that your dad is gone, we wish to hear from you if you are seeking comfort in speaking to someone else, if you do not want to burden others in your life with the situation.

It must be troubling if you cannot be in the same house with your mother. How are you coping with the stress factor? Have you considered seeing a professional about the situation? If you seek counseling options, we have a massive database with resources here. You can call us anytime at 1800RUNAWAY for support and resources. We are confidential and anonymous.

It sounds like you have one thing going in that your mother treats you well. It must be a daunting experience since you are faced with lack of open and positive communication. If you call us, we can go through coping skills with you and help you to find other ways to work on the issues. Perhaps mom will be able to see how her voice affects the dynamics of your relationship. It sounds like you have had moments where you have thought this over. It seems you are aware of what you do not want to do, such as running. It is very mature of you to consider your dad's feelings about not burdening him. It sounds like you are at the point where you need to get some of these issues off your chest. We hope you continue to stay strong and find some time to give us a call soon. Good luck.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X