I'm 16 with nowhere to go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi im a 16 year old girl,ive had problems with my parents since i was 14, they found out i had sex and my mom kicked me out, now i had a phone and she found out i had a boyfriend a while back and now they are disapointed in me again, took away my phone, car and i cant get a job. ivebeen looking into gwtiing emancipated fro a while but it costs money and im broke, i would run away but i dont know where to stay im tired of having this toxic with my parents, specifically my mom since i live with her

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your story with us. We are sorry to hear about your situation and how your parents have been treating you. You do not deserve to be slut-shamed, have your things taken from you, or be ill-treated in any way.

Although NRS is not a legal agency, we can try to give a general idea of possible outcomes if you were to run away. If you are considered a minor in your state, you are still under your parents’ guardianship, therefore at any point when you are gone, they are legally within their rights to file a runaway report. Being a runaway is a status offense, and while you would not be charged with a crime, if police came across you, they would probably return you home. They could also potentially press charges against people who took you into their care for “harboring a runaway;” these charges would be misdemeanors, but still criminal offenses.

In regards to where you could go, it would depend on if there are any family members or friends you trust. With the permission of your parents, this would be considered an alternative living arrangement. Your safety is a priority, so if you felt like you needed a safe place to go, the National Safe Place is accessible though their website nationalsafeplace.org, or through texting 69866 SAFE and your location. Some things to consider would be guardianship, school enrollment, how you would take care of your needs (eating, sleeping, healthcare), and how you would care for your safety if something were to happen. If you were interested, we also offer conference-calling as an option, where we would mediate a constructive conversation between your parents and yourself in order to reach an understanding.

In addition to your safety, your emotional health is important. It sounds like your parents’ toxicity is a lot to deal with. You have been very strong under difficult circumstances and we want to commend you for having the courage to reach out. Even though emotional abuse is not always treated with the weight it deserves, if you felt that you wanted to report to CPS, Child Help, the National Child Abuse Hotline, at childhelp.org and 1-800-422-4453 would be a good resource for explaining what the reporting process would look like. If you do not feel comfortable with reporting, you could consider what activities provide you some solace and release, such as venting to friends, going on walk, exercising, or whatever makes you happy.

If you would like to talk about other resources and support, feel free to call our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or use our Live Chat.
      We hope this information was helpful and take care.
      National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      Last edited by ccsmod15; 09-15-2018, 05:13 PM.

My family thinks I did something I didn't know about they have been picking on my for a while now and I don't do anything and they always blame my friend because the colour of his skin and they say I have till tomorrow later in the day I guess and I have no where to go and I have no idea what to do

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you’re in a very stressful situation with your family; it’s frustrating that they pick on you and that they judge your friend based on the color of his skin. Neither of those things is fair. It sounds like your parents are asking you to leave home, which can be very scary. If you are a minor, you have the right to call your local police as kicking out your child is considered neglect. We understand if that doesn’t feel like an option, though. You might also consider staying with a friend or another family member. Another option could be a shelter and/or a transitional living program, which can provide housing for up to 18 months and can help you get on your feet. For shelter or TLP resources, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929.
      Sincerely,
      NRS

That’s the same thing going on with me right now . It’s so messed up, makes you just hate life

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your response to another user’s post. Often forums are a place of support and understanding for many youth. It often may be validating and helpful for users to read similar situations as well as exchange feedback to one another. For anyone experiencing any difficulties or challenges, the National Runaway Safeline encourages youth to reach out to our 24/7 crisis support line either by phone or chat for immediate services.

Thank you,

NRS

I'm 17 a senior in high school my mom and I have got into a lot of arguments and she ended up kicking me out 2 hours
    ​​​​​ago its cold 40 degrees and heavy rain right now I really don't have any friends although my ex lives near and it's 1am right now I NEED TO FIND SOMEWHERE TO STAY

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out us here at NRS. We understand that you are going through a really hard time and that it can be something stressful. Unfortunately we can’t help unless we get more information from you and that would require you to call us at (1-800-786-2929) or online through our chat option at (www.1800runaway.org) . We hope to hear from you soon. - NRS

I'm 16, and my mom kicked me out.

me and my mother got into an argument. I signed up for a YMCA club at my school so I can get my credits and gpa up. It ends at 4.45 And it has no busses to transport me home. My mom doesn't want to driven to the school to pick me up and go back. So I either ride my skateboard home, or I go to my girlfriends house who live exactly next to the school, and I use her bike to get home. Usually if take my skateboard or the bike, I would be home by 5:10 Or so, and I have a curfew of 5 at all costs. So today, I went to my girlfriends house and I ate food and left her house at 5, so I took her bike and rode home. It takes me 20 min to get home with my board or bike. So I get home at 5:24 And my mom snaps on me. Saying I think I'm grown, I'm ways skipping school. I never do that. And I always try to talk to her but she never listens. She would always get mad and lash on me saying I'm grown for talking back (trying to talk the situation out). But this time I had enough, I yelled and said "it's not fair for you to give me an opportunity to do something, I do it respectfully and you take I back because I apparently do something wrong". She threatenedto stab me, and said get out and even took my bag of clothes and threw them out. Then I began crying and I gave up. I wanted to commit suicide. I said ******** her and I took my belongings and left the house with my girlfriend's bike. I don't know what to do anymore. No one in my family wants me. I dont know what to do. Please help me before I end it all

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing a little bit about what is going. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and especially in a time where you have a really tough and complex situation at home. We are sorry you are experiencing abuse, no one ever deserves to go through that. Your mom can’t kick you out of the house until you are an adult at the age of 18 years of age. You do have the right to report the abuse to Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. You can either do it yourself or call into us directly and we can support you through it. It is hard to say the result of reporting, but if you call in you can ask what the process might look like. One of our main goals is to make sure you are safe, so if you ever seriously in need of shelter, resources, or a safe place to go you can find safe locations at nationalsafeplace.org or reach out to us directly and we can find local resources in your area.

Also another way you can seek help is reaching out to a friend, teacher, or counselor at school that can help you look for resources. Your mental health is important. You can also look at SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) at samhsa.gov (call them directly at 1-877-726-4727) or NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness 1-800-950-NAMI to help you find the support that you need. If you do ever feel in direct danger, to yourself, or some else makes you feel that way, please call out to 911 or reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255).

It can be difficult to know how to talk to your parents and express your feelings about how you are feeling. At NRS, we do offer a service call conference calling, where you can call into our hotline and then we would reach out to your guardian and help advocate for you, help you express the needs you have to your parents.

We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our hotline ( 1-800-RUNAWAY) and chat are open 24/7.

I have recently turned 16 and I live in a small house with 7 people. I have 4 siblings and I’m my mom’s least favorite. Me and her never get along and she hates me. I’ve always wanted to leave cause it had got to the point I was in my room crying every other day because of her always putting me down and I always tried my best to do right and it’s not good enough. My other siblings don't have to go through this and they don’t understand. This past weekend my mom tried to kick me out and just today tried to again and I would leave but I have nowhere to go. Literally nowhere and I don’t know what to do. I never show how bad my life is at school. It's the only place I can leave my house and be free for a few hours. But once I’m home it's back to hell. And I have nobody to talk too cause they go back to my mom and tell her everything then I get punished. I can’t get a job and I can’t get my permit cause she won’t let me take the classes so I’m stuck and don’t know how to help myself so hopefully you can give me some advice and if so thank you.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-27-2019, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
      Super Moderator
      • May 2007

Reply: I have recently turned 16

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like there has been some ongoing issues between you and your mom and it has become so bad that she has threatened to put you out. You have some very strong feelings about the way she sees you. You don’t deserve to be put in such a terrible position. It’s not your fault that these things are happening. You are not responsible for her behavior.

Its times like these where it might be nice to have a listening ear. It is also important that you remember to exercise self- care. You show some by reaching out to NRS. Good for you.
      NRS wants you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We would like to be of assistance to you.
      We can best help by phone or chat so that we might learn a little more about your situation and how what kind of help you had in mind. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Take care,
      NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

My friend is 16 and their parents are threatening to kick them out of the house. What should they do and what can I do to help?

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you so much for reaching out. It sounds like your friend is dealing with a lot right now. Its great that you are there to support them during this stressful time. Since your friend is a minor, their parents kicking them out is considered neglectful. If they do end up kicking your friend out, you could pursue a report against them for doing so. The National Child Abuse Helpline can help you file such a report at (1800)422-4453. You can also reach out to your local police department to make a report. You can also pass along our number 1800RUNAWAY (786-2929) to your friend. We would be happy to discuss their options and find resources for them over chat at 1800runaway.org or over the phone at any time. Thank you again for reaching out.

i'm 16 idk if i'm pregnant but when i was 14 i was already having intercourse and they said back then that if i was pregnant they would kick me out they don't trust me and will not even get me a pregnancy test and i'm homeschooled i had intercourse about a mth ago tho and having gotten my period in 2 weeks what do i do if i end up pregnant and get kicked out ????

Comment

• ccsmod5
          ccsmod5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS and having the strength to share your story with us. We are sorry to hear about your situation and what you’ve been dealing with. Ideally, home would be a place where people feel safe, loved, and valued, and you do not deserve to be treated that way. You’ve been very courageous to reach out for help and try your best despite the circumstances.

As a minor you have the right to a safe place to live, so if you guardians threaten to kick you out, they would be charged with neglect. As you deserve to live in a safe place, and if you wanted to talk more about child abuse reporting or wanted support, Child Help (National Child Abuse Hotline) could be a resource for learning what reporting would look like. They are accessible by phone at 1-800-422-4453 and online at childhelp.org.

Regarding your pregnancy, Planned Parenthood is a good source for unbiased medical information as to what your options are. Their number is 1-800-230-7526 and their wbbsite is plannedparenthood.org.

We respect your needs and desires, and you like to encourage you to consider using protection, like condoms in the future if pregnancy is not your goal. We would love to talk more about the details of your situation so that we can work towards a solution that you find acceptable. If you would like to share more, please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or use our Live Chat.
          We hope this information was helpful and take care.

for my parents I was always a mistake, I was never appreciated and loved like my brothers, nobody cares what happens to me.
        When I was 7 years old I was raped, when I told my parents, they only told me that it was my fault for provoking that man, I have been suffering from deprecion and traumas since then, I have already tried to commit suicide. even so they still do not care at all.
        my parents do not want me at home anymore, I just want to know what it is to be loved and appreciated for the first time, but I feel that if I am still here with my parents, the only thing I feel will be the death penalty.
        I still continue with the hopes that there is a light at the end of the road where I will be better and I do not want to kill that wait because of my parents.
        I'm only 16 years old and I have nowhere to go

Comment

• ccsmod1
          ccsmod1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Your parents should be providing you with a loving, caring environment and it's not right of them to treat you differently than your brothers. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

You mentioned that you were raped at a young age. You do not deserve to have this happen to you, and we believe and support you. You are a survivor and that means that you have a great strength and resilience inside you. It can be really hard to deal with this alone and sometimes it’s helpful to reach out to additional agencies for support. One really great resource for all survivors of sexual assault or abuse is RAINN (Rape Abuse Incest National Network). You can call them any time 24/7 at 1-800-656-4673, or go to www.rainn.org to use their online hotline. RAINN is the National Sexual Assault Hotline and has a lot of services, support and resources that you may find helpful. You also mentioned that because you were unable to get support from your parents you have been suffering from depression which cumulated in a suicide attempt. It sounds like you're currently at a place where you have hope and see the value in your life. If you are thinking about hurting yourself again, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
          NRS

I'm trans and im 16

my parents are extremely religious and will kick me out of the house if i tell them that I am transgender and bisexual, mum can hardly handle the fact that I cut my hair really short, she has taken away my phone and most of my clothes, what do I do if my parents do kick me out?
        Last edited by ccsmod4; 05-10-2019, 06:58 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
          Super Moderator
          • May 2007

Reply:I'm trans and im 16

Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It is illegal for your parent’s to kick you out of the home. This would be considered neglect. If you were in need of emergency shelter because your parent’s kicked you out you would then contact the police or child protective services for emergency services such as shelter. You don’t deserve to be treated poorly by your parent’s no matter your sexuality. It is not your fault for the way they feel.
          We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and explore options towards change in your situation, please call or chat soon.
          Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
          We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
          NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Tell us what you think about your experience!
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

My mom said that if theres even a possibility that i am pregnant then she will kick me out and keep my baby. I do not think im pregnant, but i would like to live somewhere else. Is there any possible way for me to legally leave my home?

Comment

• ccsmod1
              ccsmod1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. If you think that there is a possibility that you are pregnant it may be a good idea to contact a local health center to verify. If you'd like, you can reach out to Planned Parenthood at 800-230-7526 or plannedparenthood.org to get a pregnancy test and to discuss your reproductive health options.

Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
              NRS

I'm going through a rough patch. My mom has stage 4 renal disease and she's always in my ****** a lot. Because of her I'm pretty alienated. Recently we have gotten into a plethora of arguments. At this point she tells me that I can just leave and don't worry about her if she collapses. I want to take this time to leave, but idk where to get her help. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. What can I do?
            Last edited by ccsmod7; 06-13-2019, 12:26 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod7
              ccsmod7 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you and your family are really going through it with the arguing and your mom's health. That sounds incredibly stressful and it is understandable that you are needing something to change.

If you need somewhere to go, if you call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us at www.1800runaway.org we can look for local youth shelters you can go to. If you haven't already, you might ask your mom if you can stay with a family member or friend at least temporarily until things can settle down at home some.

If you are looking to address the issues at home, you might try to talk to your mom about how you are feeling alienated and how you are feeling like you are in a hard place because it is clear that you do care about her. If you have any supportive adults in your life like grandparents, other extended family members, or counselors you might try to include them in on that conversation. Sometimes having those trusted adults present can help parents hear where their kids are coming from. Here at NRS, we have a conference calling service and family counseling resources if you would like any intervention at home. Please call or chat us for those resources. It sounds like your family is going through so much right now and you all deserve some help.

We hope this information is helpful, please call or chat if you would like to talk more about your situation.

Best,

NRS

I’m a 16 year old teenager who has been working to help my stepdad keep the house and had to drop out because my mom ruined that for me but I want to go back to school and I stopped paying my step father for the bills and he got really mad and the other day he wanted to lift his hands on me and I didn’t let that happened I got mad and we had a argument and it’s not the first time everyone here is always fighting in the house and I just can’t live like this I want to graduate school and everything so I can have a better future but my mom and step father told me that they are kicking me out and now my mom said if I leave she is going to call the authorities to say I’m a runaway but then she says I have to leave what do I do please help me

Comment

• ccsmod9
              ccsmod9 commented
              Editing a comment
              You mentioned experiencing emotional abuse which may be reportable against your parents. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or www.childhelp.org may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.
              We hope this helps. Please reach out if we can offer any further support.
              Be safe,
              NRS
          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
          x
          x
          Working...
          X