Almost 18, can't deal with it anymore.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost 18, can't deal with it anymore.

I am a 17 year old male that will be 18 in slightly over a month. My home has never been a normal home as my mother and father have never really truly cared about one another or myself.

I have seen my father hit my mother once or twice and in the past (when I was much younger), he physically and mentally abused me.

I constantly have to listen to my parents say horrible things about me and put me down. This is the only time my parents get along.

My father is now threatening to take away my car that is very necessary as I have a different high school schedule and a steady job.

He is also threatening to "punch me in the face." This is a problem because of his extreme anger issues, and this situation could possibly get very out of control.

I think very highly of myself, I have been accepted to a good college and take pride in my maturity. My parents are the only people who don't respect/see it. Being in my house and dealing with my parents makes me so depressed and upset. I really don't want to be around them so I can continue to perform well in life and have high self esteem.

Turning 18 can not come fast enough, and I need to get out of this horrible situation.

Re: Almost 18, can't deal with it anymore.

Thank you for sharing your situation with us. It sounds like you are very intuitive and look forward to turning 18. We are sorry to hear about your father’s anger issues and that you feel your home has never been normal. No one deserves to feel unsafe in their own home.

Despite everything going on at home, it sounds like you have still been able to excel in school. We’d like to congratulate you on your acceptance to a good college; it is great to hear that you take such pride in yourself.

You mention having to constantly listen to your parents tell you horrible things, put you down, and physical and emotion abuse in the past. How have you dealt with all that? Some people find it helpful to talk to someone whether that is a family member, friend, or professional – like a psychologist or therapist. Have you considered talking to someone?

If you’d like to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we can talk to you more in detail about your situation and can also help you find local referrals for counseling if you'd like something longer term. We are anonymous, confidential, and available 24/7 and are here regardless of your situation. We hope you are able to stay safe and hope that you are able to deal with everything in the meantime.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I can usually handle all the criticism well. But sometimes it works in making me really upset. My parents wouldn't approve of me going on any kind of medication or seeing a therapist (which I have mentioned.) They would think I am over exaggerating and ungrateful.

Comment

That’s understandable that the criticism would make you upset at times; not everyone can be strong all the time. It sounds like you don’t feel as though medication or seeing a therapist would be options because of your parents, but some counseling centers offer a few sessions to minors without contacting a parent. Or, if you wait until college, do you think you might utilize their counseling services? If counseling is completely out of the picture, what are some other ways you think you can cope? Again, you are welcome to call us anytime to talk about things more in depth.

- NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
        x
        x
        Working...
        X