Im 16 and i WAnt to leave this house full of problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reply:Hi, I'm 16 and I can't stand my parents

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things in your life right now.
    It sounds like you’re fearing that the stress from the situation with your parents is getting harder and harder to handle.
    We are sorry you are going through a tough emotional time. You don’t deserve to be yelled at or have your feelings ignored. With all that you have faced with your parents and failing at school it’s no wonder you may be feeling like things are getting out of control.

You mentioned some things that has us concerned. You are not at fault for what has been going on and there are other options that don’t have to involve you hurting yourself.
    Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Sometimes talking things out can be a way of easing the tension and getting through a crisis.
    To Write Love On Her Arms is an online service for those who self-harm.
    Contacting them may be a way to find a positive alternative to cutting.
    You might consider visiting their website www.twloha.com
    If you are having thoughts of suicide The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8282) www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. You did a great job by reaching out today.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I have questions

Hi, I am 16 and really want to leave home....So many things have happened in the past two years that I am just fed up of...I don't want to be any where near my mother..she claims in every-way possible that I am the one at fault even though this relationship involves her not being with my father. I want to be a perfect stranger to her since I am no longer considered a daughter, though i don't blame her...I need some where to stay at least for the last full year I have till I reach 18....I feel that staying another year will destroy who I am. Can I be helped?

Comment

• ccsmod8
        ccsmod8 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello there –

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline and posting on our public forum. By helping you during your crisis, hopefully there are other youth that are in similar situations can read this for help as well. Reading your post, we can see that you have very similar questions to a lot of our callers and you’re looking for some answers. Hopefully we can help.

As you have probably already read the multiple other threads that we have posted here on the forum board you should know that we are not legal experts. Generally what typically happens in each state is if you are below the legal age of majority, your parents would be able to make a runaway report and the police will be able to bring you back home. In this case, her parents have the right to report her, but it would be something that is illegal to do. Running away is not a crime. So unfortunately, you cannot just leave home and live away from your mother for just one year. You might be able to go to a youth shelter; even then, they are required to reach out to your parents to let them know where you are and to consent to you receiving services. Alternative your mother may give you permission to live with another family (i.e relative or friend), but without getting an official document from the court your mother would still be legally responsible for you. Which means that she can also take away that permission at any given moment and take you back home to live with her once again.

Now we do offer a service that is basically a Conference Call where the parent/legal guardian, the youth, and us would be on the phone talking about what has been going on. This way there can be a mediator in between keeping things calm and productive. If you’d feel more comfortable with doing that, just know that it’s always available. It might be a great way to talk about what you are going through mentally and maybe come up with ways between your mother and yourself to cope being at home. Something constructive so that it certainly opens the lines of communication.

If you give us a call on our 24/7 fully confidential hotline, at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help answer some of those questions you have and could potentially help you brainstorm a solution to the issues you are having. We also have an online chat service available every night from 4:30-11:30PM CST that is available through our website (www.1800runaway.org) if you don’t feel like calling in to talk on the phone.

I need help my parents taking things away from me they tried to take my wallet away when I make my own money and they took my phone and I dint know what to do I am 16 I need to get out of the house. My brother left three days ago. I was in an argument with them, and my mom say I am propter and I am not allowed to talk in the house and I said let me leave but they didn't let me leave but I really need help please help me

Comment

Hi there,

thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear about what you have been facing and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. We are not legal experts, but we can tell you that because you are a minor, if you leave home and your parents file a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a run away. If you want a liner to help you walk through other options like having a conference call with a liner and your parents, thinking through possible adults that you could turn to or could advocate for you, or things like emancipation and legal aid numbers, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Best,

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Im twelve years old and i live in a hellhole

So far ive been living with my mom my whole life amd my mom and dad seperates long ago the reason i say i live in a hell hole is severe cases of abuse my mom physically mentally and verbaly abuses me in my house i dont get any privacy she is always intruding my privacy and finding eays to make my life hard pls help i want to leave and i dont care if my mom gets arrested she has invited her cousin into our home to live he is around 22 and is also abusive and is a bully my mom only cooks around once every two mounth and unless im eating her xooking im starving pls help i want to leave and live with a relative

Comment

• ccsmod3
            ccsmod3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We’re sorry to hear how difficult things have been for you. Between the abuse, the lack of meals, and the lack of privacy it sounds like your mom is not providing you a good home for you. Your feelings are valid and we understand why you would you want to leave home.

Because you mentioned physical and verbal abuse we want you to know that no one deserves to suffer abuse and that there are resources to help you. First, if you are ever in immediate danger, call the police for emergency help at 911. Second, you can file an abuse report through a service called Child Help. You can call them at 1-800-422-4453 or check them out online at childhelp.org. Filing an abuse report can be a difficult and emotional experience, but you are not alone; we can help you through the process. You can call us at the number below and we can help you file the report.

Beyond that, you can call or chat with us to discuss everything that’s going on at home. Together, we can come up with some options. For example if you want help talking to your mom we can hold a conference call with you and her. If you do decide you want to leave home, we can help you find a way to do it safely. Your safety is our priority and we will help you come up with a safe plan. If you do decide to get in touch you can chat with us at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Be Safe,
            NRS

I'm 16 and wanna live with my birth mom because my adopted parents are making me mentally unstable can I

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like you are struggling with your mental health while living with your adoptive parents. That seems so hard to deal with.

Here at NRS, we are not legal experts but can speak generally. You can stay wherever your legal guardian allows you to stay and is deemed safe. It sounds like your adoptive parents might be your legal guardians. Unfortunately if that is true, they can file a runaway report for you if you leave home without permission with local police. If you are found by police you generally would be returned home.

You might let your birth mom know how you are feeling so she can see if there is any legal avenue she can take to regain custody of you. Here at NRS, we have legal aid resources so call or chat us if she needs legal resources for court.

You might also let your adoptive parents know how you are feeling. If you haven't already, you might consider talking to a therapist or counselor about your mental health. Here at NRS, we have both individual and family counseling resources so please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like those resources as well. You deserve to be supported, especially when you are feeling mentally unstable.

Please do not hesitate to reach out for resources or to talk through your situation. We are here to listen, here to help.

Best,

NRS

I want to leave the house I’m 16 years old whenever my mom get out of control she gets physical yesterday she scratched she said she just men to push me but over my past life time she’s gotten in my face when I was little my mom use to lock me in my room and not feed me but I was young back than and I was scared when child crevices or the police not sure who it was but I was scared to tell them what happened like I told the people at my school when I was in 4 grade but that stuff doesn’t happen anymore and now my mom just yells and curces but just yesterday my mom put her hands on me because I guess I was asking to many questions about how the dogs can hold their bladder but since she asked me to walk the dogs and i kept saying they can hold it so she lost her ******** just like she used to when I was little so she pushed and scratched me she said she just meant to push me but what good is her apology she said to my dad that I’m the one who got in her face but I didn’t I was in the mud room while she was in the kitchen I was a good 5 feet away from her so yeah I’m done with my life she always puts me down and says how I have no friends and how I’m never going to make it to college and how I’m nothing

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. It can be difficult to ask for help, and we are glad you reached out to us today. You do not deserve to be treated this way. If you are ever in immediate danger, calling 911 is always an option. If you are interested in learning more about or filing an abuse report, we can help you with that. Please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you are interested in filing a report. You might also reach out to the expert child advocates at Child Help if you are interested in learning about what reporting could look like in your situation 1-800-799-7233. Your safety is our top priority.

In addition to being available online, we operate a 24/7 hotline (1-800-786-2929) and are always here to provide additional resources and support, including mental health and abuse hotline and referrals. We are not legal experts and consequences for leaving home can vary from city to city. If you are interested in learning more about your options, we can help.

You do not deserve to be mistreated, and we are here to help. Do not hesitate to give us a call.

Good luck,

NRS

Hi, I am 16 and ever since i came out to my parents as gay life has really sucked for me at home. They mistreat me, talk about me, and are just have a lot against me for being gay. They always tell me I don't have to stay with them but then they tell me i have no where to go. I only have one more year left of high school , but I don't wanna live my senior stuck in a house with people who don't really care me.

Comment

• ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension, everyone should be able to feel comfortable and safe in their own home.

It sounds like you are really stressed out at home after coming out. We would like to offer some resources you may find helpful. First, LGBT National Hotline can be reached at 1-877-565-8860 or https://www.glbthotline.org/national-hotline.html. You can also contact the LGBT National Youth Talkline at 1-800-246-7743. If you’d like some additional support you can always reach out to the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) by calling 800-950-6264 or by texting NAMI to 741741.
            We want to start off by letting you know that we are not legal experts here, which means that we are only able to speak in general terms. In most states, if you are a minor, in order to leave home you would need parental consent. If you were to leave without parental consent, your parents would be able to file a runaway report. If one was filed and you were found, typically you would be forced to return home.

It must be very difficult living with people you don’t feel care for you. It might be a good idea to brainstorm some other ways that you can get a reprieve from the situation. Some ideas are going to a friend or relatives house, joining after school clubs/teams, joining recreational groups so that you have time away and feel supported. If you do want help communicating with your parents on option may be family counseling. You can also call us directly to schedule a conference call so we can help mediate a conversation to open up a dialog.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Originally posted by guest View Post
          17 and already wanting to leave home. My mom hates me, i know that for sure. All we do is fight and argue. Sometimes, she might act cool, but it's all fake. I cannot believe about what i am going to say, but she's my worst enemy. I stopped feeling love for her. I hate how she does not see that i need a supporting mom. I am trying to grow up and learn how to drive successfully, but she sees it like a threat. I have no friends... I'm lonely... I am not smart... I'm dumb, stupid, and ugly. Can i just sneak out to drink?
          sameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment

I’m 15 Nd ion wanna be at this mfn house no more!

my people don’t give a ******** abt anything but there self, they abusive Nd don’t let me do ******** so I run away then I come home it’s like a repeating process but I want to be gone forever, I’m trying to get emancipated cus I’m mature I got a place to stay Nd I gotta job soooo I wish these mfers would let me put cus I’m done being hurt I’m done being talk to like I’m a peace of ******** !!

Comment

• ccsmod13
              ccsmod13 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS. We understand it takes a lot of courage to reach out for help and share your situation. It sounds like your life at home has been incredibly stressful and you do not deserve to be talked down to or abused in any way. It is understandable you would want to leave. Finding a safe place to stay and getting a job are both really great steps toward becoming independent.

You mentioned wanting to leave home before you turn 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parent's/legal guardian's permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. You would know better than anyone when leaving is the best decision for you. If you leave without permission there are some risks involved to be aware of. Your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This basically means your parents can ask that police return you home if they know where you are staying.

The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS
          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X