i need some advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need some advice

i have some family issues, and i really dont know what to do anymore, im not sure where to start so ill just lay some of it out..
    im a 16 year old, me and my parents, and siblings, do not get along at all, they all treat me like s****. (Edited for language.) it seems like they just enjoy to make me missreable. ive tried doing everything, like doing all my parents ask me, like 110% effort, to just being completely rebellious, and nothing just seems to work or show any progress, me and my parents used to get into fist fights, like all the time, child services were envolved, and it all seemed to like dissapear somehow, nothing happened, but we dont get physical as much when we argue now since child services investigated, so thats good i guess, but other than that, all they do is verbally cut me down, make me feel completely worthless all the time, and cuz of that i cant focus on school or work, my grades are slipping drastically because of it.

ive been doing research on emmancipation for a while now, im not entirely sure on what to do with all of that, from my research it seems like its just a ton of money for lawyers and court fees, and few people actually get emmancipated i guess,
    im not sure waht to do now,

so now ive considered the option of just running away,
    what happens to a runaway, cuz like, my parents always say they'll call the cops if i run away again.
    what would happen if i got caught by the police? would they just take me home, or would i get some charges put against me or something,
    cuz if i get caught, my parents said they are going to ship me off to millitary school, or foster care, or boarding school, they've said it all,
    and honestly, my friends around here are the only thing ive been holding onto, they keep me going, without them i know i wouldnt be able to stay strong and i would just give up

but if i dont get caught, when i turn 18 does the runaway just go away or something?

ive tried a few forum columns and stuff online, and i always get an email back saying my post was deleted cuz im not 18, so if this goes through, and someone replies, thank you so much for your time,

Re: i need some advice

Thank you for sharing your situation with us. We are sorry to hear about your family issues and how that has affected your schoolwork. No one deserves to get into fist fights with their parents are be made to feel completely worthless. It sounds like you must be a strong person to have gone through all of that.

You say you have tried different things – like changing your behavior and getting Child Services involved and nothing seems to work. If you did have a way to change things, have you thought about what that would look like? It sounds like you have done some research on emancipation and are considering running away. We are not legal experts and have only basic information on emancipation, but to our knowledge, it can be quite a lengthy process. Normally youth have to be living separate with the acquiescence of the parent/guardian. The court process generally requires the youth to be working enough to be able to financially support themselves while also staying in school. How do you think your parents would react to that? If they did agree, do you feel it would be a realistic option?

Running away is normally just a status offense meaning you can’t do so until you reach the age of majority (which is 18 in most states.) If your parents do call the cops and file a runaway or missing children’s report it would most likely go into the National Database, the NCIC (National Crime Information Center.) Some states still recognize a report even after a youth turns 18, so you might have to call the police department in that case to clear your name. If the police did come across you and you haven’t committed any other crimes, they would normally just send you back home. An exception to this might be if you travel far away from home and your parents are not able to come get you. In that case sometimes the police will temporarily have youth stay in detention halls or runaway youth shelters. As far as what your parents choose to do if you get caught, many places like military or boarding school require parent and youth consent. Have you tried talking to your parents about that?

It sounds like your friends are a great source of support for you which we are glad to hear. If you find you need additional support, you are welcome to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can remain anonymous and confidential and we would be happy to hear from you. We hope you can continue staying strong and not giving up. Best of luck.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

thank you so much for your input, time, support and confidence,
      i will deff take all of this into consideration.
      and i shall call that number if i need some more help or anything,
      thanks again.

Comment

You’re welcome! We are a 24/7 complete confidential, anonymous crisis line. We can assist with local resources/referrals, conference calling to legal guardian and/or social services agencies and assist with exploring options. You are welcome to call us to discuss your situation in more detail. We can be reached at 1800RUNAWAY (786-2929). We look forward in talking more with you and wish you the best!

Take care,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X