No announcement yet.

I want to run awayy...

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I want to run awayy...

    I don't know what to do anymore. I want to run away. I can't stand my home. My parents have just grounded me for three weeks, taken away my phone, internet, and friends because I have a B- in an Honors class. My dad just told me I am going to be grounded for 8 weeks. Him and my mom fight sooooo much. I can't stand them. I love my mom but i hate my dad. I feel like rebelling now. Not being able to talk to anyone for 8 weeks... I need to get out of this house. I have thought about sneaking out at night but I have no one to take me, I'm 14. I've threatened to my parents to run away. I can't stand being here anymore. They always yell and scream at me, I seriously think they hate my sister, me, and my twin brother. Nothings ever perfect enough. They want to take away everything from me because of nothing. And they take for granted that i don't drink, have sex, or do drugs.
    I was going to call the hotline but I'm to scared to talk to anyone on the phone about it because it seems soooo blown out of perportion but this is how I feel.

  • #2
    Re: I want to run awayy...

    Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like you are considering running away from home since your dad just said you are going to be grounded for 8 weeks. We are sorry to hear that your parents yell and scream at you and that you believe that they hate you and your siblings. It sounds like you are in a very difficult situation at home and it must be hard to feel that nothing is ever perfect enough. You mention being in an Honors class so it sounds like you excel in school. However, the reason you say you are grounded is because you have a B-. If you find you are having trouble in a particular subject, could tutoring be an option? Or, might you get help from your teacher?

    You mention thoughts of sneaking out at night, but it doesn’t sound like you feel anyone will take you. Running away is normally just a status offense meaning you can’t do so until you reach the age of majority; which is normally 18. It sounds like you have threatened to run away before, but how do you think your parents would react if you did? Many parents choose to file runaway reports which would go into a National database called the NCIC (National Crime Information Center.) Although police do not always actively look for youth, if they do come across a runaway, they normally would just send them back home. Legality oftentimes comes with harboring or assisting a runaway. These are generally considered crimes and you could find out the consequences from your local police or sheriff’s department if you are interested in knowing more.

    If you did choose to leave, would going to a family member’s or friend’s home be an option? If not, another option might be a runaway or homeless youth shelter. Shelters will generally need to notify and/or get consent from your parents anywhere from immediately to 72 hours so that they do not get in trouble for harboring a minor. Here is a link where you can search for possible shelters based on state. Or, if you would like to share where you are located, we can try our best to find one. ... locate.htm

    You say that you were going to call our hotline and you are still welcome to do so. We are anonymous, confidential, and are available 24/7. You do not have to worry about anything seeming out of proportion and we are here to listen and provide support regardless of the situation. We wish you the best of luck and encourage you to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY whenever you feel comfortable.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove