No announcement yet.

Can I get him into legal trouble?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I get him into legal trouble?

    Hi, I'm 17, turning 18 in September, and my dad threatened to shave my head if i didn't go get a haircut, using my own money. Is it possible to sue him, or get him in legal trouble for this? Or hell, is there a way i could move out or something?(Some backstory; my family is extremely controlling and mentally abusing, forcing religion onto me, and NEVER letting me do anything i want to do, even though i have my own car, and pay for my own gas. i also work a 9-5 every day but 2 days. this abuse has been going on since I was like, 15? it's gotten to the point i don't even want to be here anymore. and i don't know why im still here.)

  • #2
    Hi, thanks for reaching out to NRS. It’s not right that your dad is treating you this way. Mental abuse is just as serious as physical abuse. Unfortunately, we are not legal experts, so we can’t give you legal advice. If you feel that you are being abused or neglected, one option is to file a Child Abuse Report with your state’s DCFS/Child Welfare services. This is something that NRS can help you do, or if there is an adult that you trust, they might be able to help you file an abuse report as well. In most states, 18 is the age of majority where you can move out and are no longer under the guardianship of parents. If you leave home before then without your parents permission, you might be considered a runaway and your parents could file a runaway report, which would allow the police to return you to your parents house and guardianship. Moving out and running away is one option, but there are other options that might be better and safer for you, and NRS can help you figure out those options. Our ability to help you over the forums is limited, so the best way to get help and resources from NRS is to call our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY or live chat with us on our website at We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      My mom forces me to work and on my day off I have to take care of my other siblings, the children of the uni and their boyfriends.


      • ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching it shows a lot of courage. It can be frustrating when you feel like no one is listening to you. One resource that is always good place to start is Child Help Agency it is a national organization whose mission is to prevent child abuse and their contact information is (800) 422-4453 and Another organization is Prevent Child Abuse Agency their information is 1.800.244.5373 and Please remember that you can always reach out us. The more details we have about your situation the more specific we can be about which resources might help you. You can reach out to us 24/7 through chat or phone at or 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Stay safe and stay strong.
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp