No Opportunities

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Opportunities

Im 16, lesbian, and I dont feel like I have any opportunities living in my environment right now. Im stuck between a rock and a hard place, I have no where to go except a shelter or on the streets. My girlfriend has gone through what I am going through and she knows all of the shelters around Denver. Today, I had enough of my Rents crap, they can't afford one penny to take care of me and it seems like no matter what I possibly do (for anyone, especially my rents) I get verbally tossed into the ground for any - little or big - mistake I make.
    My moms boyfriend was standing at the end of the stairs out side my room eavesdropping on my conversation with my mom and when I couldn't take any more of what my mom was saying, I just stood up and told her no. I packed as much as I could into my backpack and headed towards the back door, knowing perfectly what I was stepping into. I headed for the bus stop and my step dad grabbed the back of my backpack and yanked me to the ground and held me there till he saw the cops pull up.
    When the cops got out of their car, my mom finally caught up to my step dad and two cops got out asking the most obvious question ever. "Whats going on here." Personally, I believe that cops are pigs and cant be trusted.
    Why?
    Because I grew up around my dad who was meth addict -in and out of prison- for a majority of my life off and on, and on a personal note, I have had to deal with too many cops -Denver country, Arapahoe county, Englewood county, and El Paso county- all being pigs.
    Anywooooo, begged the cops to take me to a shelter, like Urban Peak, and they told me they couldnt because I didnt cause any harm, there wasn't any harm done, I seem too old and mature to sit in a pin all night, and my mom didnt want me to leave. They also told me that I have no rights and told them the minimum of what I should have, I understood that. But I am stripped of every opportunity that I have right now and I'm reaching out for help from this hell. People may think I'm over exaggerating, but I dont think I am, at all. This place is hell. I dont know how much more I am willing to take.

Thanks,

Re: No Opportunities

Thank you for posting a bulletin and reaching out to us. It sounds like you’re not feeling very supported or care for by your parents. We are sorry to hear that you feel like you’re getting verbally “tossed ino the ground” by your parents. It’s understandable that you would feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. It also sounds like you haven’t had a positive experience with the police.

It sounds like you have considered running way. You had mention that you feel like the only options available would be the streets or a shelter. We are not here to tell you what to do or what not to do. However we are here to help explore options with you. Here are some things to think about before you leave. These questions are directly from our website:

• What else can I do to improve my home situation before I leave?
    • What would make me stay at home?
    • How will I survive?
    • Is running away safe?
    • Who can I count on to help me?
    • Am I being realistic?
    • Have I given this enough thought?
    • What are my other options?
    • If I end up in trouble, who will I call?
    • When I return home, what will happen?

Do you feel that your parents would file a runaway report? Running away is not illegal, but it is considered a status offense. This means that your parents would have the right to file a report with the local police. The police would take the information and enter it in to the national data base for all police departments to access. If the police were to pick you up and run your name; they would see that you are a runaway. They mostly will return you back home, unless you disclose that home is not a safe place for you. If that is so, the police will contact Child Protective Services (CPS). CPS will take the information and start an investigation on the concerns. We don’t define what is abuse and/or neglect, but you are welcome to contact CPS if you would like to talk more about abuse. Their number is (303) 866-593 or view the website at: http://www.cdhs.state.co.us/.

It sounds like you have thought about shelters. Most shelters require parent consent for you to be able to stay when you are a minor. Do you feel that your parents would be ok with your staying at a shelter? Here are some shelters in your area that may be able to provide assistance to you:

Treasure House can help with alternative housing, support/self help and groups. They can be reached 24 hours at (303) 863-9397.

Urban Peak (which it sounds like you are familiar with them) can assist with basic support services. counseling, GLBTQ friendly, health care, alternative housing and employment. They can be reached at (303) 777-9438 24 hours or view the website at: http://www.urbanpeak.org/.

You had also identified as a lesbian. If you feel that you would like more support, you are welcome to contact GLBT National Hotline at 1888-843-4564 or view the website at: http://www.glbtnationalhelpcenter.org/index2.html.

We are a 24/7 confidential, anonymous, non-judgmental crisis line. We can provide local resources/referral, discuss options in more detail, conference calling with agencies, conference calling mediation with parents, or just be someone to listen to you. You are welcome to us to discuss your situation in more detail. We can be reached at 1800RUNAWAY (786-2929). We wish you the best and look forward in talking more with you!

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X