No announcement yet.

i can’t do this anymore

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • i can’t do this anymore

    for the last several years me and my moms relationship has been very strained but since last year it’s been worse than ever. she’s always body shaming me now and is extremely emotionally abusive and makes me want to die. she puts so much stress and pressure on me and my mental health has been worse these last few weeks. she’s convinced that i’m fat and need to lose weight and now i’ve developed anorexia and can hardly eat. i’ve developed anxiety and depression the last few months and now it’s worse. i want to run away, but i have no place to stay, no way to support myself , and don’t have a school to go to. i’ve been homeschooled since 4th grade and now i’m in 10th and absolutely hate it, but my mom won’t let me go to public school. i’ve been cooped up in my house and i’m tired of it. i’m not allowed to hang out with the few friends i have. my mom is extremely toxic and makes me feel like crap. my dad can’t do anything about it because it’s my mom that makes the decisions in the house. i have no one in my family i can talk to about it. if i do run away, where can i stay, and can i enroll myself in school?

  • #2
    We are glad you reached out to us for help. It takes a lot of courage to ask for help, especially in a situation like yours. It sounds like you have been coping with extreme stress from your Mom for a long time without a normal break and alternative like school would offer. It is totally understandable that you feel like you want to die as you can’t see any options other than being cooped up in your parents’ house.

    First, you deserve to be in a safe supportive house and not exposed to this kind of stress, pressure and emotional abuse. Not only are you dealing with current stress every day but you most likely are suffering effects from all the past trauma and emotional abuse. There are programs and agencies to help and support you if you do run away. From what you described in your post, you might be better off in a transitional or independent living program. Those programs provide all the support you need in order to gain the knowledge and resources to live on your own. We can help you access those programs and we will conference call them with you to find the right one for you.

    You can absolutely go to public school on your own even as a reported runaway (or locked out). You have the right to enroll in a public school through the McKinney/ Vento Act that is a Federal Law and it applies in every state. These resources are available by state and you can start that process by calling the National Center for Homeless Education Helpline at (800) 308 2145. You can also find your local resource on the following website:

    If you are in a transitional or independent living program, they will help you get set up for school. If you have any trouble getting the enrollment process started with the National Center for Homeless Education or your local state resource please reach out to us. Since you are under 18, the school may require parental consent or other assistance to complete the enrollment.

    We would like to get more information about your situation so we can get you more specific information and options. You can contact us anytime for a chat through our website or on our phone crisis hotline at 1 (800) RUNAWAY. Both are available 24/7 and both are completely confidential.

    We hope to hear from you soon.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp