Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need an honest opinion!

Hi, I am 17 years old and will be 18 in 2 months. My story is not as bad as everyone else’s and it honestly makes me feel horrible for writing this as if i have room to complain but i really need an opinion.

My mom has a thing for prisoners for some reason. Well, ever since my real dad died, my step dad has been around since i was 10. He’s a MEAN drunk and gets physical and really mean verbally. My mom lets it happen and time after time she puts up with it. I’ve noticed over the years she has changed and has gotten a lot more bitter and aggressive with her words and how she treats me. They are both VERY narcissistic and every time i try to have a mature conversation with them they make me out to be the bad daughter.

I work 2 jobs, have my own car, and am in charter high school working really hard to graduate early(in 1 month). I also take care of my sisters bc my parents are always at work. I’m so mentally drained and emotionally tired. I can’t take them anymore, since i’m going to be 18 in 2 months… would the cops even really do anything if i was to runaway? I have a friend i can stay with (safe) and still maintain work/school. Can I please get a kind opinion

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are glad you reached out and we recognize the courage and strength it takes to do so. Please know that each experience that somebody goes through is incomparable with someone else's and your feelings and experiences are just as valid as any other. We hope that we can provide a safe space for you to talk about this and we are happy to provide support for you during this time. It sounds like you are having serious struggles at home. We are curious if you have ever reported any of the abuse you have experienced at home? Please know that you can also talk to the National Child Abuse Hotline about these experiences, who can further assist you with appropriate steps to take and specialized support. They may be reached at (1-800) 422-4453 or through their online chat option, found on their website at https://www.childhelp.org/. Additionally, if you find yourself at risk of or in imminent danger, we empower you to please call 911.

Regarding your question about running away and the involvement with the cops; please know that we are not legal experts, but it seems that every situation may be different depending on how the police may handle it. We apologize that this is not very clear information, however, our general knowledge of the surrounding law is that any individual under the age of 18 must be under the care and responsibility of their legal guardian.

We could certainly talk further with you and explore any resources or options you may have at this time and of course provide additional support for you. Please feel welcome to reach us by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or through our online chat service, which is posted on our website at www.1800runaway.org. We encourage you to take care of yourself in the meantime and to spend time around people in your life that lift you up and make you feel safe and loved. You are worthy of being treated kindly and gently by everyone in your life.

Wishing you the best,
    NRS​
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X