No announcement yet.

I have two parents who are toxic. I can't escape.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I have two parents who are toxic. I can't escape.

    I have toxic parents and I have 3 siblings but I'm the youngest and have an age gap between my siblings. My siblings know exactly what I'm talking about when I tell them things and they have all been through the toxic stuff with my parents and to this day they still deal with how toxic they are. My siblings don't come around as much or call them because of how they are. I'm the only one living here with them because I'm still in college and can't go anywhere but I really want to. Can anyone else relate?

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like things at home have been taking a huge toll on your mental health and well-being. It sounds like your siblings may have a strong understanding of what you've been going through with your parents--could it be possible to speak with your siblings about what it could look like for you to leave home?

    While we are not legal experts here at NRS, when a youth turns 18 they are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that they can move out if they want to and they won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs (TLPs), where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living.

    If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).

    We hope to hear from you soon.

    Take care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp