No announcement yet.

Is there any way to get DHS to actually believe me?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is there any way to get DHS to actually believe me?

    Trigger warning for sexual abuse and suicide attempt
    I was sexually abused a lot as a child, and although I have no physical evidence, my older sister admitted to doing it. My family is also very emotionally toxic and unsupportive of me being trans. I've tried everything, running away to a police station to report, talking to school councilors, contacting crisis lines, I even attempted suicide at the end of March this year and spent a month receiving treatment in a hospital. But the only people who believe me can't legally do anything. I'm considering running and it's starting to look like my only option. Is there any way I can get people to believe me?

  • #2
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
    It sounds like you have gone through some very disturbing situations involving your sister and the rest of your family.
    No one deserves to be abused by family members or anyone else. You are very brave for reaching out and seeking help. We understand how you must feel emotionally. Your concerns and feelings are important and having someone to listen can be a comfort. But we know that many resources may not believe you, which can lead to even more pain.

    Since we are not legal experts we cannot say in certain terms the best way to approach getting your situation legally recognized. You may be able to get information about child abuse reporting in your state from .gov websites or Legal Aid websites.

    You are welcome to call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) for legal referrals in your area.
    You can also choose to utilize the NRS live chat service available at
    You have the right to a safe environment at home and elsewhere. There are services within your county and state that protects children who are victims of abuse at home or at school.
    It is very good that you are thinking about your safety at NRS we can advocate for you by providing assistance in filing a child abuse report. As mandated reporters NRS provides conference calling and referrals to CPS services and agencies for our callers. If you decide you want to make a child abuse report NRS can help you to do so with the information you provide.
    You can also file a child abuse report by contacting Child Help USA at: 1-800-422-4453.
    They will connect you with the child protective services in your area to file a child abuse report.

    We are here to listen and here to help at NRS so if you would like to discuss your situation at length please consider using one of the NRS contact options.
    1-800-Runaway (786-2929) 24hrs or live chat

    Thank you for reaching out to NRS, stay safe.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp