Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents ignoring my mental and physical health state

Both physically and mentally, I’m sick and exhausted. Physically, I can’t even stand without getting a headache. I get terrible stomachaches and even faint sometimes. But my mom just calls me lazy. I’m depressed (not diagnosed but I was diagnosed a few years ago and proclaimed “cured”), I have anxiety, an eating disorder and I have pretty much no friends. Nobody at school even knows my name, so they call me Solo. I’ve been skipping class, and my mom learned and screamed in my face. I’m not allowed to go to the doctor or a therapist. I’m honestly scared that I may die, but I’ve been diagnosed with GAD too so I think I’m being dramatic. I’ve started eyeing the pills in our medicine cabinet for reasons not related to my being sick. I know I’m not getting any better at home so I think I should live out my days in a small town somewhere else. It’s a terrible thing for a 13 year old to think. My relationship with my parents and family was perfect before depression. I think it would be easier to just run away, be free before something bad happens. Any advice?

Originally posted by Guest View Post
    Both physically and mentally, I’m sick and exhausted. Physically, I can’t even stand without getting a headache. I get terrible stomachaches and even faint sometimes. But my mom just calls me lazy. I’m depressed (not diagnosed but I was diagnosed a few years ago and proclaimed “cured”), I have anxiety, an eating disorder and I have pretty much no friends. Nobody at school even knows my name, so they call me Solo. I’ve been skipping class, and my mom learned and screamed in my face. I’m not allowed to go to the doctor or a therapist. I’m honestly scared that I may die, but I’ve been diagnosed with GAD too so I think I’m being dramatic. I’ve started eyeing the pills in our medicine cabinet for reasons not related to my being sick. I know I’m not getting any better at home so I think I should live out my days in a small town somewhere else. It’s a terrible thing for a 13 year old to think. My relationship with my parents and family was perfect before depression. I think it would be easier to just run away, be free before something bad happens. Any advice?
    We are glad you are reaching out for help. We cannot give you advice because there is no way for us to know what is the best choice for you-- only you know that. We can discuss options with you, and if you'd like you can live chat us at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY to have a more back-and-forth conversation about your situation.

It sounds like the people in your immediate surroundings have not taken your mental and physical health (the two are inextricably linked) seriously, and that is not fair to you. You can try to continue to insist to your family that you see a professional or that you receive medical treatment for depression and/or anxiety. We can also contact a parent on your behalf to discuss your symptoms with them.

If you want to run away we can discuss your options-- it is often difficult because there is not much infrastructure in place to support people your age choosing to live on their own. If you do need to leave your home it can be productive to think through where you will go, how you will get there, how you will keep yourself safe, and whom you will contact in case of emergencies.

You don't have to go through this alone; there are people who want to help. Recovery is possible.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X