Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am considering running away

My entire family is extremely homophobic and my mom caught me talking about queer things and saying "I love you" to certain friends of mine. She's going to force me to come out to her, but things won't go my way if I do. I don't want to be in this world, and I'm trying to hang in there, but I don't know if I can. Running away was a thought that popped into my brain but I don't have any money and I don't think it'll work (at all). I guess my question is what do I do?

Hi there –

Thanks for contacting us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you’re in a very stressful situation and feeling down and unsure what to do. Please know that we’re here to support you however we can during this difficult time.

Our first priority is to help you stay safe. If you ever feel like you’re at risk of harming yourself or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. Also, please know that we’re here to talk by phone or chat 24/7 (1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or www.1800runaway.org, click on the chat button). Another good resource to consider is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-TALK (8255); [www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org).

Feeling that your family won’t accept your gender and sexual identity is very hard. The GLBT National Hotline (1-888-843-4564, http://www.glbthotline.org/) does lots of great work with LGBTQ+ youth and might be a good resource to consider as well.

Something else to think about is whether talking to a trusted adult about what’s going on at home – like a relative, a friend’s parents, a school counselor, or a therapist – might be helpful. Sometimes just being able to talk about it and having some emotional support can make a huge difference.

If you continue to think about running away, it’s important to have a plan to keep safe. This is something we could discuss with you in more detail if that seems helpful. Again, you can reach us anytime by phone or chat (1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay safe,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X