Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• family issues

my dad is a narcissist and controlling while my mother has a huge victim complex while treating my brother differently, and trying to get me to clean up after him, screaming at me and lashing out over it. I’ve finally had enough and I want to leave but I just started highschool, so I don’t know if I should just leave or wait

Thank you for contacting National Runaway Safeline. You sound like a very thoughtful person and it sounds like you’re trying your best to look out for yourself right now - that’s a good thing.

it is very tough to be living with parents who are acting controlling and narcissistic like your dad is, and it must feel unfair and hurtful to see your mother treating you and your brother differently. You don’t deserve to be screamed at or lashed out at, especially not be your parents. It sounds like you know that you deserve to feel safe at home and treated with support and patience by your family. It makes sense that you’re thinking about running away from home, but like you said, you just started high school. Running away is A big decision, and only you can know where you will be safest. You can contact us at 1-800-RUNAWAY any time, and someone at our 24/7, anonymous and confidential hotline will be able to talk you through this decision and help you decide what’s best for you.

In addition to reaching out to a hotline for support, you might want to think about the adults in your life whom you can trust to listen to you share how you’ve been feeling. Talking about how you feel with someone you trust to really listen to you can help, whether it’s a teacher, a family member or a friend. You might also want to think about what would need to change at home for you to feel more comfortable there. We at NRS would be happy to talk this out with you over the phone any time, and tell you more about some of our resources, including a conference call resource we have where we can help mediate a phone call between a youth and a parent.
    Whatever you decide to do next, you don’t have to go through this alone. Good luck!

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X