Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't take being here anymore and don't know what else to do

I'm 16. My dad and mother were never really together. My mom has had 2 other men. One of which I call my stepdad. Due to how he treated me and other abuse I went through at an early age I developed Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Depression to the point where for years I'd cut myself and think I was better off dead. My mother made this worse by calling me pathetic and making comments about my weight for years. I was planning to run away and move out this June but my mom found out. I've tried to run away before but it's come to a point where living here only makes me worse. I thought after the mental hospital and talking about my problems and Dissociation my life would get better. I know I can't live with my brother's dad and no one else in this family has ever really cared for me. I've hit a roadblock and I don't know if I should come up with a new plan to leave or what but I don't know how much longer I can take them hurting me only for me to blank out because of all the trauma. I'm so desperate to get out and have been since I turned 8. All I can look forward to is getting out of here and I can hardly even remember the whole of my life. I just want to leave or maybe some advice. I've run out of options.

Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing with us what’s been going on. We are sorry to hear that you have been abused and mistreated by your stepdad, abuse is never okay and you deserve to be treated better. It sounds like from everything that’s been going on, you’ve developed anxiety and depression and have cut yourself as a way to cope. It also sounds like things have been so hard on you that you’ve had thoughts that you may be better off dead. We at NRS want you to know that we are here to help and want to ensure your safety. If at any time you have those thoughts, we encourage you to call 911, or contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. We also encourage you to reach out to an adult that you trust and to chat or call us here at NRS.

It sounds like you’ve explored options for alternative living arrangements but that hasn’t worked out and now you are unsure of what to do or if you should leave. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. Since you are 16, if you leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, your local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X