Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving out when am 17

Am 16 rn but in 4 months I be turning 17 and where I am at rn is I live with my mom and for me being with her is messing up my health I don’t feel happy I feel sad all the time and my bf asked if I can move in with his family to work on my health cause outside my moms house like at school am the happiest person then I get home it straight to being depressed like I stay in my room and just lay there in bed and am not alone to go anywhere so I basically live in a prison and my dad I don’t talk to so I can’t go there and every night I cry cause I feel sad and I really can’t eat ether cause my body doesn’t wanna eat when am home and I was wondering is there anything I can do or can I moved out to go live with my bf and his family and his family’s know about how I feel and he talked to them about it and they would love for me to be there.

Hi there,
    You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
    Be safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hello. I am 17 years old and will be 18 in June. I live in the state of Georgia. I will not lie and say that my home life is awful, my adoptive parents do well at providing and caring. There is just a slight conflict in control. I am not trying to be an unruly child by any means. I just believe that there is a sense of independence yet to be given on my behalf given that I am 3 months away from graduation and 4 away from being 18. I say all of that to ask, knowing that I have the 4 months that I do before I turn 18 is there ANY way I can move out before then without means of emancipation? And could I flee the state if I had somewhere to go outside of Georgia?

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out. It makes sense that you want more independence when so close to turning 18.

The easiest way to leave home before you turn 18 is with your parents’ permission. If you leave home without their permission, they can file a runaway report to get the police to bring you home. Further, if your parents file a runaway report, people who take you in could be charged with harboring a runaway. However, since you are so close to turning 18, the police may not search as hard for you.

We aren’t legal experts and don’t know enough to say for certain what options might be available outside of Georgia for you. Generally speaking, the answers will depend on your individual situation. We encourage you to call 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat online with us (https://www.1800runaway.org/youth-te...#get-help-chat) if you need any more support. We hope to hear from you soon so we can discuss all your options.
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X