Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m 12 and i just want to leave

Its not rare for my mother and i to be constantly fighting over nothing, she would always yell at me for the most ridiculous things, and half the time things i didn’t even do.

She’d always apologise by buying me something, but i just want a sorry and reassurance she won’t do it again but that’s not the case,

When i talk about it with my sisters they always just brushed it off as ‘you’re just a child, and you’re probably doing something wrong.’ when most of the time i’m doing nothing and she just yells at me.

I’m scared shes gonna hurt me even though shes never done so before, but i’m still scared she will and i feel unsafe around her and in her car,

I hate my family and i just want to leave, but i don’t know how to.

RE: I’m 12 and i just want to leave

It sounds like you are going through a very tough time and we are glad you reached out to us. It is very brave of you to take steps to make your situation better and we will do our best to help you find resources that may be helpful to you.

Your current living situation also sounds very challenging. If you think it would be helpful to you, you can also call us and we can arrange a conference call with your mother to talk about how you feel.

Do you have other friends or family or a teacher or counselor at school you are comfortable talking to that you are comfortable talking to about your situation? They may have advice or ideas that may be helpful to you.

A potential resource is the Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline at www.childhelp.org or 1-800-4-A-CHILD (422-4453). Childhelp is a 24-hour hotline with volunteers who can talk to you about your situation and provide resources that may be helpful to you.

You could also consider contacting your local Division of Family Services or Child Protective Services. If you are uncomfortable making the call, you can call us and one of our volunteers can make the call with or for you.

At NRS our main goal is to see that you are safe and off the street. If you leave home have you considered where you would go? How would you support yourself?

We’re not legal experts, but we can provide some basic information that may be helpful to you. Running away is not illegal. In most states, the age of majority (the age at which you can legally leave home) is 18. Since you are 12, if you run away, your mother can file a runaway report. If you are picked up by the police they will likely take you back home.

You should know that if you are staying with someone and you are picked up there, they could be charged with harboring a runaway.

The way the police handle runaway and harboring cases varies from place to place. If you call the non-emergency number of your local police department they may be able to tell you how they handle runaway and harboring cases. If you are uncomfortable making the call, you can call us and one of our volunteers can make the call with or for you.

You can also always contact us via chat at www.1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We have volunteers available 24/7 to talk and to help you find resources that may be helpful to you.

We wish you the best!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X