Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’m LGBTQ. My parents are homophobic, and will kick me out if I come out.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m LGBTQ. My parents are homophobic, and will kick me out if I come out.

I’m tired of lying to them. I have an idea of where to go (Aunt’s house) once I’m out, but I don’t know if they will actually take me in. I don’t know their status on LGBT community, and I’m just not sure. I have to tell them though, because it’ll be worse once I finally do it if I lie. What do I do?

Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s been going on. No one should feel like they have to hide their true identity in order to be accepted by their family or worry about having a safe place to go because of it.

Unfortunately, we cannot advise you what you should do as you know your situation and family best. However, no matter what you decide to do, we can do our best to help connect you to resources to help you stay safe. One resource you might want to check out as you are thinking about what to do is The Trevor Project (https://www.thetrevorproject.org/) which is a website with a lot of great information for LGBTQ youth along with their own hotline. We are all here to support you however we can during this challenging time.

There is no right or wrong time to decide to come out to your family- it is whatever feels right for you. If you do decide to come out to your family and their reaction is not welcoming or you do not feel safe staying at home, we can work with you to try and find shelters in your area or whatever resources that you might need. You are more than welcome to reach out to NRS by phone or by chat and we would be happy to talk more with you about your situation. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are ever at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You can also check out the website www.nationalsafeplace.org or text the word “safe” with your current location to 4HELP (44357) and you will right away receive the nearest Safe Place location that you can go to or be connected via texting to a trained counselor.

Be safe,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X