No announcement yet.

Some Questions

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Some Questions

    I no longer feel loved at home, and my mom doesn't really care about making me happy anymore. I recently came out to her as trans, and ever since then, she's been less caring towards me. She also goes out of her why to say that I'm a girl. She also has two roommates, who are insanely obnoxious, and I've asked her to kick them out, since they do drugs and one of them is mentally abusive and yells a lot. I want to run away so I don't have to deal with it anymore. Although, I do have some questions.

    1. Will I still be able to go to my current school? All of my friends are there and I don't want to lose them.

    2. If my mom calls the police, and they catch me, can I give them the reason of why I was unhappy at home, and would that let me not go back home?

    3. My grandmother is my temporary legal guardian, so could she give permission for me to live with a friend?

    4. Would it be smart to stay near where my school is (which is two towns over from where I live)?

    From, C.C.

  • #2
    Some Questions

    Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like there is a lot going on at home right now. You are strong for reaching out to talk about it. It must be difficult to be in a situation where you don’t feel accepted for who you are. Your identity is valid, and you always deserve to be treated with respect. One great resource that you may find helpful is called the Trans Lifeline, which is a hotline run to provide support to transgender individuals. Their hotline is (877) 565-8860 and their website is

    You mentioned that one of the people living in the house with you is emotionally abusive toward you. It sounds upsetting to be in a situation where you don’t feel safe. An option that you have available to you is to report what has been going on. Childhelp is an organization that provides support to those living in abusive situation, and can be helpful in working through the process of reporting if that is something you are interested in. Their hotline is (800) 422-4453 and their website is

    We aren’t legal expert here at NRS, so we can’t answer legal questions definitively. However, if you choose to run away, your guardians could file a runaway report. This means that if the police find you they could choose to bring you back home, even if you tell them you are unhappy there. If you left and continued to attend your school, it is likely the police would be able to find you and return you home. Your legal guardian is the one who makes decisions about where you can stay. An option you could consider is reaching out to your grandmother to speak with her about how you have been feeling living with your mom.

    You deserve to be in an environment where you feel safe and cared for. If you would like to talk more about your situation, please reach out to us through our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or through our online chat feature on our website. We are available 24/7 to provide support.

    Good luck!

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp