I feel trapped.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel trapped.

Everything is awful. But it isn’t. I’m 17, and my mental health has been steadily declining for years and has recently taken a sharp downturn. I’ve attempted suicide in the past, and the subject has been increasingly plaguing my mind for the last couple months. Everything is changing. My parents got divorced, I’m almost an adult and I’m expected to go to college and give myself a “good life” that I don’t even want. I’ve told my mother that I’m not going to college and she’s not very happy about that. Being in high school, and knowing that society’s version of “success” is all that awaits me is a suffocating feeling. I’ve been trying to distract myself with everything possible, so I don’t end it all.

So recently, I was screwing around with a friend saying things like “lmao what if we just went on the run together.” And we kept talking about it, and now we plan on doing it. We’re legitimately planning where to go, what to bring, and how to do it. I feel like, if I stay where I am, I stay trapped. I’m already suicidal. I don’t wanna live anyway, so I may as well actually live while I’m still here.

We are so sorry to hear that you've been noticing your mental health getting worse and that you've been thinking a lot about suicide. We're thankful that you're still here and it's extremely brave of you to seek help. If you are in need of immediate help in the future, the National Suicide prevention Lifeline is a great resource that you can call 24/7 at 1(800) 273-8255. It seems like you've been going through a lot of changes at home, which can be stressful on its own. You're also on the cusp of a huge life change once you graduate high school and become an adult, and it's normal to feel like you don't know what path to take. A lot of the educational system pushes the idea that college is the only way to have a good job, but that's not true and it's totally okay to not want to go. There are many ways to become successful, and how you measure success can be very different from society's version. In reality, you decide what success means to you based on the things you value most.

Leaving home can be challenging and there's a lot to consider like where you would live, how you would provide for yourself, and how you would keep yourself safe. There can also be legal repercussions if you leave home before you turn 18. Plus, if you run away and you're staying with someone over 18, they can get in legal trouble for harboring a runaway. Laws vary by state but you could research the laws in your area to be sure. Being independent can be rewarding but it comes with a lot of responsibilities. As you and your friend consider your options, remember that the NRS is here as a resource if you need help and you can chat us or call us at 1(800) 786-2929 at any time.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X