No announcement yet.

Can I call CPS for emotional abuse?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I call CPS for emotional abuse?

    I'm 14 and I've wanted to run away for three years now. My mother is an awful person. She's treated my like her play thing since as long as I can remember. She body shamed me when I was 8, she stopped talking to me because I came out, and she takes out all of her frustration on my father. Today, was the last straw. She got mad at me because I asked her how long it was going to take for her to get ready. So after school I figured everything was fine. That's how these things usually work, but no. It got so much worse. She's still being cold with me and it's been at least 15 hours since the incident happened. She will treat everyone else in the household great, but when we are alone together her tone changes, she's cold and mean. But that's a normal day for me at this point. When I told her me and my dad were going to the store I made a joke and told her just letting you know so you don't think we got kidnapped or something. And she said "Yeah I would've been really worried if dad got abducted" So moral of the story, I don't know what the lesson was from that. And that is my last straw. At this point, it's not if I should run away. It's when. Wether that means calling cps, or leaving when I get emancipated. I'm just so done being treated like this and I need to find a way out. Please help.

  • #2
    Hello, thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline! It takes a lot of courage to ask for help, so we want to acknowledge your bravery in doing so. We are here to listen and help.

    It sounds like you are dealing with some frustrating behavior from our mother. We know family dynamics can be stressful, but it sounds like you are an understanding and respectful individual. For your mother to body shame you and to stop speaking to you because you came out, is unacceptable. Home should be a place where you feel loved, and appreciated, a safe place.

    From what you have shared with us, it sounds like you are set on leaving home. Before you make a decision, we want to make sure to let you know that because you are a minor, if you were to leave home without parental consent (runaway), your parents could file a runaway report with the police. If the police were to find you, they could return you back home. Anybody that you were staying with could also be charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. We would be more than happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

    You also mentioned an interest in emancipation. While we are not legal experts, our general understanding is laws vary depending on your location, but in many states, a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. In most cases, a minor would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially and that you are able to live separately from your parents. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and can cost money for court fess.

    Another option, though it may be difficult and intimidating, is to confront your mother about your feelings. Having a mediator in conversations like these can be helpful. Whether that be your father, a teacher, a social worker, or a friend, someone that you trust and feel comfortable with. We also provide a conference call service which involves us three way calling between you and your mother, where both sides of the call are heard and respected. If you are interested in the conference call, you can reach us at our 24/7 hotline, 1-800-786-2929.

    Please feel free to reach out to us via chat or gives us a call (both available 24/7), and we will be happy to provide you with as much information as we can. We wish you well!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp