Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to live with my grandparents, can I do that?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to live with my grandparents, can I do that?

I recently ran away from my mother, for her being mentally/emotionally abusive and also my brother for being physically abusive. My boyfriend was with me support when our friend Rocky picked us up and drove to his house, which I thought I would be staying. My boyfriend obviously had to leave as soon as my knee was disenfected. While in the middle of watching a movie, someone knocked on the door. Me and rocky thought it was the police but it was the youth pastor and my mother. They had called the police again, asking them to come there. Idek how my mother got Rockys address, I only had his number. After the police came, we got some things figured out like where I was going to stay for the night because I couldn't say at Rocky's. I ended up going to my grandparents house, and they gladly didn't ask too many questions. Both me and my boyfriend are wondering if there is any possibility if I could legally move in with my grandparents, because I am NOT going back unless it's to pack up my stuff.

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It certainly sounds like you are living in a very uncomfortable situation at your mom’s house which is surely difficult. Since you didn’t mention your age and the state you are living in, it’s hard to tell you if it’s okay for you to live with your grandparents. That said, if you, your mom and your grandparents are willing to all agree on for the living situation your mom may consider looking into your grandparents taking over legal guardianship so that there are no issues as to who is responsible for you.

Hopefully this has answered your questions and will allow you the ability to address the subject with your mother and grandparents. Please feel free to reach out again via phone (1-800-786-2929) or via our chat option on www.1800runaway.org . We are available 24/7 so there’s always someone to talk to. At NRS we have a number of other resources that we can look into should your situation need more direction. Again, thanks for reaching out! Good Luck!
    Last edited by ccsmod16; 09-17-2021, 08:29 PM. Reason: Items from the Teams chat appeared, which I deleted
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X