I want to run away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to run away

Okay, so I've been wanting to move/runaway since I was 14. I am 17 (18 in 9 months). Well, my mom has taken me out of school, after I finish second grade. But almost never taught me. Like everything I do know school-wise, is because I took the time to try to figure it out. Which was hard for me to do by myself. I have a boyfriend and a best friend, they were both kicked out when they were 16. They know what it's like to be alone and said that I could live with them (they both have apartments). Well if I do runaway, I'd go live with one of them, and try to get my GED asap, and study study study and try to get into a college. I know I can do this if I try really hard. I don't have a job. The reason I want to runaway is because, my mom and I fight constantly. She MAKES me feel like i'm worthless. She doesn't "say" i'm worthless or crazy, she just puts the thoughts in my head so when shes not around it's all I can think about. She is constantly yelling at me and lying to me and making promises she can't keep, then she says it never happened, and I KNOW she knows what she did. All this stress from my mom is putting me in a lot of physical pain. I hardly eat, because I'm usually to upset to have an appetite, my head is constantly in throbbing pain. I just feel like I need to get away from here. I've called CPS on my mom before, because we were fighting and I was scared. Nothing happened. I think i'm getting older and leaving wouldn't be that bad of an idea. I have a plan, I KNOW I can make this work. But I don't want my boyfriend or my best friend to get in trouble for "harboring a runaway"..my mom is definitely the kind of mom to call the police, the national guard, heck she'll call the FBI if she has to, she loves locking me at home so she can yell more and get inside my head and mess with me. I can't take it anymore though. I guess I just want an opinion on what I should do, this is a really big decision, I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Re: I want to run away

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Switchboard. Your post was very optimistic in tone despite the situation in which you are made to survive. It sounds like you are a very mature person with a lot going for yourself. Since you reached out, we hope you continue to do the same. However, we wish to hear from you in person over the phone. We imagine it is not easy for you to go through this alone. We want you to know that you are not alone and can call us 24 hours a day at 1800RUNAWAY for support.

At NRS, we are not in the position to tell you what to do and we want to continue to provide resources for you also. You made some very important point about harboring and whether your mother will be the sort of mom who calls the police. She reserves the right to file a report in order to keep her safe from neglect in the event that something was to happen to you. However, the report is there to track you. If you are found, the most is that you are brought back home. It is not illegal to runaway in most states and in some, the laws are more lenient than others. Your friends and their family certainly risk getting charge with harboring and that is something that can lead to legal ramifications later. We are not here to scare you but to give you a better sense of what to expect.

Do you think your mother is beyond approach at this time? We certainly empathize with your situation at home. You do not deserve to feel like you are "worthless." It is not fair to feel like your home is not safe. We imagine fighting and feeling scared is something to not wanting to be around. What is inspiring about your situation is the goal you have set for yourself. It sounds like you have a good plan and working towards a better life is surely one way to overcome all the frustration once you keep at it.

Do you have a trusted adult in your life you can turn to? How about family to stay with? We see life is approaching an age where you will one day be free of all the stress. It sounds like you are looking forward to it. We truly wish all the best for you. If you need a shelter to cool off from home and wish to call us, our number is easy to remember and it is toll free. We are confidential and anonymous. If you need someone to speak to about how you feel and wish for a listening ear, please feel free to reach out directly over the phone. We hope you continue to be strong and know that you are quite an inspiration. We look forward to hearing from you soon. Good luck.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X