I “ran away”

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I “ran away”

Hi, recently I ran away on and it’s almost been a whole week. I’ve been sticking with my job, saving money, but I’ve been living in my car. I don’t really know where to go to be safe, so at night I’ve been parking in safe neighborhoods. But heck, I don’t even know if that’s okay. I’m 18 and my mom threatened to call the police to kick down my door since I’ve been inside for days. I was annoyed with her for days so I locked myself in there and kept the handle so she wouldn’t come in. When she called the police, she gave me the option to either have the police knock it down so she can see me or leave. And so I left, packed everything I could think of and had a trade off for my car keys. When I went to go back to get some more things, she wouldn’t let me in and said I had to sign a contract. I’m a stubborn person and with my mom I can be very stubborn. I keep thinking that when she texts me she’ll let me come back but she won’t and I’ve kinda lost it with her. I’m starting to not see her as my mom anymore. She isn’t even my biological mother. I have a part time job and will be starting college soon. I don’t know how I’ll be able to manage especially with me not taking any of my ADHD pills anymore. I left them at home. Before I left, I took anti depression ones that made me feel emotionless which led to arguments. I’ve only told two of my close friends of what happened. One said to go back to talk w her even though I have while the other said she would like to help, but they want to talk w my parent. My close friend has been helping me by sending me sites like this one to go and get help or ask for some advice, so I’m just trying it out. I don’t know what really expect.

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing your situation with us. It sounds like you have been in an incredibly tough spot recently and you are wanting to find a more solid and stable living arrangement. Taking the step to leave can be a difficult one especially if it might not have been completely in your control. From what you have mentioned in this post, it seems you have been thinking through your needs and what steps you may have to take next.

You mentioned that one of your friends might be able to offer a safe place to live. We know that approaching a friend and their family with this situation can be intimidating and challenging. We do want to encourage you to speak with your friend to explore this options further. It sounds like their family is willing to offer support and you deserve to be helped.

There are a few resources that also may be able to help you with basic needs (basic necessities, physical and mental health care, housing, etc). There are shelters and transitional living programs for young adults that provide the needed support for young adults to work toward living independently. We would be happy to do a search for these resources in your area if you contact us by phone or live chat. Additionally, the National Center for Homeless Education can connect you with a local advocate who may be able to help you with school-related needs and possibly housing while you are in college. You can find the local advocate at this website, www.nche.ed.gov, or by calling 800-308-2145.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X