No announcement yet.

My mom is mentally ill and my dad is manipulative

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My mom is mentally ill and my dad is manipulative

    My mom is mentally ill and has many physical issues that she refuses to get help for. She gets angry a lot at basically anything and her anxiety and depression is so bad she hasn’t left the house since October 2019. She hasn’t let me or my sister leave the house since then either. My dad is manipulative and gaslights both me and her. He gets really angry at her and hasn’t done much to help her. He gets angry at me and guilts me every time I ever even suggest he might be wrong about anything. He has lied to me and my grandmother on multiple occasions and gets angry if called out. Him and my mom fight anytime he’s not at work. Some of the time the fights get physical. I’ve waited for my dad to do something to help change this, but he doesn’t and I don’t think he’s going to. I’m almost 15 and want to get emancipated if I can, but the law in my state is minimum age of 16. I love my mom and my dad, but I can’t take anymore emotional and verbal abuse. Right now I plan on going to a shelter and staying there for a few days until something can be worked out. How can I find ones in my state and what are the laws regarding youth shelters and runaways? Btw I live in Virginia.
    Thank you.

  • #2
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We have a national database of Runaway and Homeless Youth (RHY) shelters that we can provide if you reach out again. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove