No announcement yet.

I don’t know what to do. I miss my parents but don’t want to go back.

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I don’t know what to do. I miss my parents but don’t want to go back.

    I am 18 years old. I had super overprotective parents who wouldn’t let me do absolutely anything. So, about a week ago I packed everything into my car when my parents weren’t looking and left, only writing a short note telling my parents I was leaving. Since then I’ve been sleeping in my car and camping. I had worked for a couple years so I now have about $5000 saved up.

    Anyways the point of me writing this is for two reasons.

    The first thing is that I still need my important documents like birth certificate and SSN. How should I go about getting those or asking my parents for them?

    The second thing is that I became surprised that I actually miss my parents a lot. I hated living with them, I have all the freedoms now I always wanted, but now I cry almost daily because I miss them. I kind of want to go back home but also kind of don’t. What should I do?

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re going through a lot at this moment and this can be difficult. Everything you feel at this moment is completely understandable. It’s okay to miss your parents and not want to live with them. Setting up boundaries for yourself is very important. Since you are 18, you’re able to request your documents such as birth certificate and social security through or you can contact your nearby vital records office in your birth state and request a copy of a birth certificate from them. You would most likely need to give them a new address, otherwise it would go back to your house address (or the address that they have in their system). Asking your parents can be scary but if you felt comfortable enough, it could be a good idea to sit down and talk to them about how you feel. Explaining to them that you want them to trust you and have those boundaries could be a conversation that may be helpful to you and them.

    As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. You mentioned camping and living in your car and while that can be great short term, it can be helpful to think about where you may want to live in the near future. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help you by phone or chat, if you’d like to talk more in detail. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929); or (click on the chat button). Please feel free to call or chat soon.

    Be safe,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove