No announcement yet.

Looking for legal help/info

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looking for legal help/info

    Looking for legal info in the state of California
    I’m 6 months from turning 18, once I do, is there anything my father can do to force me back? He’s extremely controlling, verbally abusive, and can be violent. He has threatened me when I brought up leaving. I have a full plan of a safe place to go, and a way to continue attending high school (in my final year). I dont plan on taking much, but could brining belongings like clothes prove to be a legal issue? Any advice is much appreciated

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS. Since you would be 18 in the state of California, you would be considered an adult, which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
    We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your friend can reach out soon.
    Take care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove