Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My mom makes me wish like I was never born.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My mom makes me wish like I was never born.

We never have seen eye to eye since she has had multiple beliefs that as I got older I didn’t want to follow. She has an ideal life for me and I don’t want that… I’m 17 now. I’ve had multiple issues with my mom over the course of my life where I have tried to move out but no had the funds, but now I do. I also have a car. Seeing that- my mom has been taking money out of my account, refusing to give me my insurance card to “teach me a lesson” and has also been calling me a whore (even though she didn’t explicitly say it, it seems like she is) . I personally don’t want to call the police on her because of my younger sister, however, I found an apartment complex that will accept me and let me lease. I want to know if it’s really possible for her to call the police on me when I have made this decision on my own… I’m literally months away from 18….. I want to leave and I have the funds to, but she’s making it a little harder and making me wish like I wasn’t born.

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us here at NRS. It sounds like there is a lot that you are faced with at home and you feel leaving is your best option. Based on what you have mentioned here, you have been very resourceful in taking steps to be independent including finding a place to stay. It seems you want to know more about runaway laws and how they may affect your situation. While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally on this. 18 is usually the age you are able to leave home without permission from your parents. If you leave as a minor, your mom would have the option to report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means there is a risk that police would return you home if your mom knows where you are staying. Now, there is a possibility that police would not intervene because you are so close to turning 18. Unfortunately, we have no way to know for sure because police protocol can vary by police department and even individual case. You can call your local police department to speak with an officer to ask more about your specific situation.

We are here 24/7 if you need to talk more. 1-800-RUNAWAY; 1800runaway.

We wish you the best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X