Can i leave?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i leave?

Hi, Im from texas and im 17 i turn 18 in 3 months and i was wondering if i could get in trouble for running away. My parents are christan and i want to be a member of the church of jesus christ of later day saints; my parents and i relationship has always been rocky but for the last year or so it has gotten worse and worse they continuously call me names and make me feel terrible about myself and im afraid that now that i have opened up to them about my faith it will only get worse. They reacted terribly and told me that they will not let me practice my religion so long as i am in their house hold. is it ok to leave? i already have a safe place to stay and know id be very safe and i would like to leave now

Hello,
    We are glad you reached out to the National Runaway Safeline. The conflict you are dealing with at home sounds like it is very upsetting, and no one deserves to feel that way. As far as the potential for getting in trouble after running away, there are a few things to consider.

Since you are still under 18, your parents could file a runaway report with the police when they realize you have run away. This would mean that if your parents know where you are staying or if you find yourself interacting with the police, the police could return you home. This is less likely to be an issue since you are so close to turning 18, but it is still possible. Additionally, whoever you stay with could get in legal trouble if they do not have the permission of your parents to house you.

It is understandable that you would want to leave after feeling mistreated at home due to your religious affiliation. If you would like to talk more about the options you are considering including running away, you can call the National Runaway Safeline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or use the chat services by going to https://www.1800runaway.org/.

Be safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X