No announcement yet.


  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Family

    Hello greetings all!

    I am a concerned brother of an individual that is residing in another state. I am trying to keep all parties unidentifiable so I am changing genders and names.

    I will try to explain as much as possible so that I may receive as much help/advice that I can get.
    my brother is a disabled adult with a legal guardian. He currently moved out but was basically raised in a facility with other abandoned disabled adults.

    now he has been there for 12 years. No phone, no job, no WiFi, all mail is looked through, rooms regularly tossed… basically any humans worst nightmare as a home. Not technically abuse though. Cut off from the world, yes.
    Keeping people at a diminished capacity so they are “easier to handle”, also yes. Legally allowed, also yes.

    at a certain point almost everyone either burns the bridge and gets kicked out or runs away. There’s no real plan to safely integrate these individuals into society.

    so my brother obviously would like to run away.
    as a disabled adult (not sure if it’s FAS{fetal alcohol syndrome} or autism) what rights would he have to his identity afterwards?
    his legal guardian is definitely going to report missing
    also as a Texas resident what would be my rights in helping my brother succeed in taking his life into his own hands?

    if you could offer any words of advice support, anything would be useful! I am pretty desperate.

    thank you so much all!!

  • #2
    Hey there thanks for reaching out to NRS,
    It seems like you are in a tough position wanting to help your brother who still has a legal guardian due to their disability. It is awesome that you want to help them out of what sounds like a draconian and limiting situation to be living in.
    While we are not legal experts, and we are not as familiar with legal issues for adults in a conservatorship or similar situation where they don’t have the legal right to be self-directive, it might be similar to a minor attempting to run away. Most likely a missing person report could be filed with police, and they would be able to return your brother to their current home. What is less clear would be what consequences there might be for attempting to interfere in the guardianship yourself by helping them to escape this situation or housing them if they leave.
    To really find out what rights you might be able to have you may need to talk with a lawyer or legal aid resource in your state. You could also check the Texas Adult Protective Services website ( for more information about directly reporting the situation which could be classified as neglect or exploitation.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove