No announcement yet.

my dad is so mean

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • my dad is so mean

    i need help because im 13 and i have a dad but my mom left us and my dad is really abusive and im always trying to hide from him because i cant even look him in the eye im that scared. he gets mad even when i mess up one time in math. and he hits me and takes away everything and says bad stuff to my friends. i want to run away its just that i dont have any money and stuff like that. Please help!!!!!!! i need it hes like the devil.

  • #2
    Re: my dad is so mean

    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Switchboard. We are sorry to hear that your dad is really abusive and that you are so scared of him. You mention you are in need of help and while we are not here to tell you what to do, we are able to help you come up with options.

    Have you considered filing an abuse report? If you would like to, we can either take a report and relay it to Child Protective Services (CPS) or stay on the line and conference call with you to CPS. After that, it will be up to CPS to decide what to do. Sometimes it can be more difficult to show verbal or mental abuse than physical abuse. If CPS does decide to open a case, they will usually start an investigation which would generally involve a social worker coming to visit your home. After that, possible outcomes may include mandated counseling or other types of family intervention or in extreme cases sometimes the youth will be taken out of the home.

    If filing a report isn’t something you are comfortable with, have you thought about what else you will do? You mention that you want to run away, but you don’t have money and stuff like that. Here is a link for some common questions to consider before running.

    Running away normally is just a status offense meaning you can’t do so based on the fact that you are still a minor. However, if you stay somewhere without permission, that person might get in trouble for harboring a runaway. If you do runaway, what do you think your dad will do? If he files a runaway report, even if you are found the police usually just send youth back home. Some exceptions to this might be if you run far away (like out of state) or if the situation at home is not safe. Are these risks you are willing to take?

    You mention that you really need help right now and you are welcome to call us anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are anonymous, confidential, and are available 24/7. Although we are mandated reporters, we only have the information that you give us, meaning that if you do not provide your identifying information (like name, dad’s name, address, phone number, etc.) then we are not able to make a report. You can also call your local police department or state 24 hour abuse reporting lines. (Should you tell us what city and state you are in we can look these numbers up for you.) If you aren’t sure whether you would like to file an abuse report, there is also an organization called Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 who just provides information and doesn’t actually file reports.

    We hope you stay safe and wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif