No announcement yet.

Mentally abusive parents

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mentally abusive parents

    Ive been with my boyfriend two years now, I made a mistake and we broke up. He said to give him space, that is what i’m doing i love him so much. I told my parents and I did not want to tell them my mistake because i knew how they would treat me. They forced me to tell them or else they would ask my boyfriend. So i had to tell them. My mother went hysterical my father won’t even speak to me. It’s crazy because it’s my relationship and you are acting like this. I am your daughter and im going through so much pain. They have taken everything from me my car my privilege as a 19 year old. I’m not a baby. But i have so much to do in life. I’m in nursing school and it’s like im not enough to them. My mother went behind my back and they all decided to meet up with my boyfriend. I want to run away so bad from everything I can’t heal or move on if i’m in this home.

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thanks for reaching out to us and sharing a little bit about what's going on. we're sorry to hear of your breakup and that your parents are treating you so poorly. It sounds like you would like some independence in order to heal from everything that's going on. That makes total sense.

    Since you are 19 you are no longer considered a minor and there is no legal reason why you would be required to live with your parents. If you left you would not be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.

    Please feel free to reach out to us anytime so we can help you figure out what your next best steps are. Or even if you just want to talk about what's going on. The best way to reach us is through our 24 hour confidential hotline: 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), though you can also chat with us online via the chat button found at our website: We hope to hear from you soon!

    Stay safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove