•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting to move out

I am 20 years old
    I live with my parents in Mexico but a United States citizen
    I am constantly being controlled in every aspect of my life, from sleep schedule to leisure time and even more personal matters such as specific hygiene products (I'm a woman, hopefully you get the type of product I'm speaking of).
    Inam also constantly getting in arguments with my. Mother because of our opposing points of view, such as lgbt rights, children rights, parental abuse, etc.
    We are financially well off, so i am accustomed to a good way of life, never having to worry about money and getting just about anything I ask for
    They bought me a car when I started college (but its on my dad's name)
    Back to the controlling thing, I have no social life because they control everything
    I only wear, do, see, what they want, etc. And cannot do anything they don't approve of.
    Because of this, i have never in my life had a job, because I don't need to
    ​​​​​​And also, i suspect, because it would grant me financial freedom
    I want to leave, I know legally I can
    But I am scared of doing this because
    As my parents are overly protective, i know nothing of what rhe world is like, i do not know anything about finances or economics, wouldn't even know how to begin looking for a job or a place to stay
    Like i said, i want to move out but i am. So scared that i will end up poor and homeless, that i wont be able to do well and end up back at their house

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline! We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing some difficulties with your family and commend you for reaching out for help. It sounds like you are trying to plan for your future, and we are here to help you as much as we can.

While we are not legal experts, we can speak in overall general terminology. The general age of majority in the United States is 18, meaning that you are considered a legal adult at 18. We are not familiar with the laws in Mexico, so we would recommend checking with your local non-emergency phone number. But in the United States, once you turn 18, you can move out freely without having to have permission from your legal guardians and they have no legal standings to get the police involved. Moving out can be a huge step. Some steps you could take towards moving out and gaining this freedom that you desire might involve finding a job if you don’t have any money or to save up money for any type of moving expenses. Additionally, it might be helpful to do a search for rents in the area that you are interested in living in, to see how much money you need to have set aside, look around for roommates, and create a budge based on the rent. If you are considered an adult in your country, it may be pertinent to have your legal documents handy (passports and copies in case of emergency), some other things to consider would be school enrollment, how you would take care of your needs, such as eating, sleeping, healthcare, and how you would care of your safety if something were to happen. If continuing education is something you are interested in, online programs may be beneficial. The National Center for Homeless Educational Helpline (1-800-308-2145) may be able to provide you with more information about their online programs.

We would be more than happy to discuss more resources with you and provide you with support. You may reach out to us at our 24/7 toll free hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or reach out to us on our online chat. We are always to here to listen and support you in whatever way we can!
    We wish you all of the best!
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X