I wanna leave but don't know how to confront my grandparents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wanna leave but don't know how to confront my grandparents

I'm 18, graduated, and I've been thinking about leaving home. My grandparents aren't really mean or anything but they are stubborn. Yelling and screaming stresses me out very badly, I have 2 little sisters that live with us that don't listen to us most of the time so everyone resorts to screaming, even myself and it spikes my anxiety. I've tried talking to my grandma about this and she played victim for some reason and pushes it off. My grandpa always screams when he tells someone to do something and it's not done that second. I live in Tennessee but want to move back to Ohio, with my girlfriend and her parents. Both her parents(though they are going through divorce) have offered me a place to stay and if it comes to it I'll live in my car to be with her. I'm scared that if I just up and leave that my grandparents will shut down my car because the title is in there name or take my phone that's also in her name. I don't have very much money to pay for anything new such as insurance, another car and a phone. My anxiety builds up day after day and I hate taking medication because it feels as if it bottles up. I've just been looking for advice to get through it. I love my grandparents but I don't like living in the house I'm in. I'm just scared and don't know what to do because I've always been sensitive to emotion and don't know what to do.

Hello,

Thanks ever so much for reaching out to us. We are so sorry that things at home with your grandparents has been so difficult. It sounds like the dynamics between everyone at home makes living there really tough on you emotionally, and you are considering leaving home, possibly to Ohio, but you have concerns about your ability to get there. Although we cannot tell you what to do, we will do our best to share information that may help you figure out your next steps.

In your message, you express hesitation with moving back to Ohio because of your financial situation and concern about how you'd get there if your grandparents do not allow you to take the car or your phone. It may help to reach out to your girlfriend and her family to try to create a plan just in case you do decide you want to make your way to Ohio and you have to do it without the car. Depending on the cost, you may be able to pay for a bus ticket to get you from where you are to where you want to go, or even asking if your girlfriend and her family can help with the cost of a bus ticket. It may also help to confirm where you would stay, for how long, and whether there is any way you could get some support in finding work so that you can progress towards being independent after you arrive in Ohio. Beyond having a safe place to stay, it may help to explore whether you would be able to find support to address your anxiety in the area where you would like to live. If you would like to explore potential resources in your area, or if you just want to talk about what's going on, feel free to reach out to us.

Whatever you decide, know that we are here to support you. We cannot tell you what to do, but we will support your efforts to keep yourself safe as you explore your options. If you would like to talk more in detail please reach out to us by phone at at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We are here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X