I need help running away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help running away

Recently in this past year or so, i came to several realizations about my parents and myself. It started back in March when i told them i had been questioning my gender identity, they then proceeded to cut off my access to any of my friends or support groups, leaving me alone in my room for online school. After several months like this, alone without support from anybody except my sister who would comfort me in her room and we would ay games together. Later, i was hanging out with her when my dad walked in and he yelled at me and took my sisters school ipad which we were watching videos on. I told him that it was her school ipad, and that he was unfair. He told me i had an attitude and i just yelled back "wanting a therapist is an attitude?" He left without saying a word. I then attempted suicide by eating food that im allergic too. There was a big fight after my sister calmed me down and saved me, my dad ended up shoving me to the wall by my collar while screaming in my face about how selfish i was. I slammed my head into a mirror prompting a police call, the EMTs showed up and told my parents that I should have a gender therapist, not who i was seeing at the time (a christian cognitive behaviorist who works with family communication and child behavior). They ignores him, denied me a mental screening, and co tinued like norhing had happened, like my dad hadnt laughed at me while i tried to end my life. I docymented all of this. Eventyally i just lied that i was cis, and they let me go back to normal. All was well until recently, they found out i was talking about masks and LGBTQ and my political beliefs. They isolated me again. Im sending this on a hidden phone i set up a while ago, everything else is gone. I would have no contact with my friends or school, as we just moved. I decided i would run away, i scheduled a flight using a VISA gift card, i set up a place to stay with a friend in a different state, i researched laws for education and healthcare, and flying and minirs running away and i am ready to go. My parents said earlier that "if i wanted to leave, i could" and im doing just that, but theres an issue. I need to get to the airport without them knowing and fast. They told my sister, who is 18, that she could leave, but I "was a different story, since I am 15." Now i have no ride to the airport, as i dont want my sister risking legal trouble before her first year of college. I was planning on seeing if they would let me go this weekend, but now i have no plan if they say no. Its a 9 hour walk through the most crime ridden area in my state. Is there anything i can do?

P.S. yes, my friend and their family are fully supportive and knowing if what I am doing, that is why i am talking to my parents this weekend about letting me go. Laws i researched were the homeless education act, charges of kidnapping, etc. I also documented every case if emotional or physical abuse in a journal that is dated, along with other evidence needed for emancipation, just in case I have to take then to court. I refuse to come back.

Hi!

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like your parents have not been supportive of your gender identity, have been isolating you and have been physically, verbally, and emotionally abusive in the past. First of all, your safety is our number one concern, so if you feel you are in a dangerous situation, please contact your local emergency number or local police department immediately. Secondly, you stated you have been suicidal in the past. We care about you and your life, and do not want to see something happen to you. When you are feeling suicidal or just feeling down in general, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a great resource available 24/7 that can route you to local crisis centers in your area for immediate counseling or local mental health referrals. The phone number to contact them is 1-800-2732-8255 and their website is www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org . Lastly, it seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you may feel like running away. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. Since you stated you are 15 years old, your parents may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home by local, state, and multi-state police. Also, those you stay with, such as your friend’s parents, may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway which could lead to probation, fines, or possibly even jail time. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions since you are talking about multi-state laws. NRS cannot legally help you run away from your legal guardians, since this is against the law.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,

NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X