Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When my mom died I decided to live with my aunt but I regret it

I’m 15 turning 16 and my mom died when I was 13-14 I’ve lived with my aunt for two years and I’ve been miserable the entire time. I haven’t been happy at all, not to mention I barely saw my aunt growing up. Even when my mom was alive. She only started coming around about 7 months before my mother had passed. My aunt thinks that the reason I’m “sad” is because my mom died when In reality it’s because she’s emotionally unattached to us and she doesn’t hide it. When I told her I was depressed she said I had to no reason to be and I’m just grieving badly. I have asked for therapy multiple times since my mom passed even though her passing isn’t why I need it. I’m very suicidal and have SH marks, I don’t go out my way to hide them and my aunt has still never seen them. My older sister attempted to leave on multiple occasions but can’t since my aunt has custody of her til 21 and “accidentally” messed up her paperwork so my sister isn’t even “eligible” for an apartment whatever that means. I wanna leave I have other family I can be with but I don’t wanna leave my younger sister who’s 13 and autistic Idk what to do anymore

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like your aunt has been making it difficult to live at home, and that you are unsure about what to do or where to go. We're sorry to hear that you've been going through that at home. First and foremost, it sounds like you feel your aunt has contributed to your mental health issues and that you have felt suicidal and have self-harmed. At NRS, your safety and well-being is our biggest concern. A great resource you may want to reach out to is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline which is a toll-free hotline available 24/7 in case you are dealing with a suicidal crisis or under emotional distress and self-harming. Their website is www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org and their phone number is 1-800-273-8255. If you would rather chat online, another great resource is the Crisis Text Line, which is a free, 24/7 and confidential crisis line that is available online. A crisis counselor will respond immediately and help if you are feeling down or having suicidal thoughts. Their website is www.crisistextline.org and you can also message them through Facebook Messenger by messaging “HOME”.

Secondly, it seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you may feel like running away. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your aunt may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with, may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law in your county, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. If you are looking for legal aid help in your area to see if there are other options for you and your siblings, a great resource is contacting United Way by calling 211. United Way is a free and confidential service available 24/7 that you can contact to find local resources in your area.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X