•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod13
    replied
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. We are happy you did! Things sound really tough at home and like you’re overwhelmed. You mentioned experiencing emotional abuse which may be reportable against your brother.  Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise.  Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation.  That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share.  Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead.  The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or www.childhelp.org may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.

We hope this helps. Please reach out via chat or phone call if we can offer any further support. We are available 24/7.

Be safe,
    NRS 1-800-RUNAWAY; 1800runaway.org

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Wondering about Michigan CPS and sibling abuse

Wondering about Michigan CPS and sibling abuse

I turned 17 a couple months ago. My brother has been emotionally/psychologically abusing me for almost 8 years now. It’s done terrible damage to my mental health and I don’t know how long I can keep going like this. My parents are aware of the mistreatment but they don’t care. Whenever I ask them to help me they just get upset that I would think badly of my brother. I feel like I can’t trust anyone to keep me safe anymore and I’m always afraid my brother will snap and hurt me. He tried to strangle me last summer and now I can’t stop imagining him killing me or my pets. It’s ruining my sleep schedule. Every time I’m alone my anxiety takes over and I have a breakdown just picturing it over and over. I’ve considered running away or calling CPS for years but I live in a rural area with nowhere to go for miles and miles, and I don’t know if CPS even cares about sibling abuse. I can barely find any resources about it online and most of them are for sexual abuse which is not something I’m dealing with. Do you know if the Michigan Child Protective Services take sibling abuse seriously? I have seen that some states do but my state website is useless. I don’t know what to do anymore and I’m terrified of talking to people in real life. No one ever listens to me and I’m always afraid of being mocked and put down by people like my brother does. I don’t want to be taken from home and I doubt I would be, but I really need some help and my parents just say there’s nothing they can do. I just wish he would go away so I didn’t have to be scared all the time. I wish someone would give him help so he wasn’t so horrible. I don’t want him to hurt anyone else in the future either. Do you have any ideas?
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X