No announcement yet.

Where can I go if I runaway?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ccsmod3
    Hi there,

    Thank you for writing us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We’re glad you reached out, we understand that it takes great courage to do so. While we are not experts of the law, 18 is usually the age an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Anyone found to be assisting or aiding someone to run away may also find themselves at risk legally. For more specifics on the law, you might consider contacting the local non-emergency number for the police. You might also look for a legal aid center in your local area. They may be able to answer any legal questions on the subject. Depending on your situation, emancipation could be another option. To be emancipated, the age requirement is different depending on the state and you must be able to prove that being emancipated from your parents is in your best interest. Emancipation can often be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering. We are here to listen and help through this challenging time.

    If you’d like to talk more in detail, we can best help you by phone or chat. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929); or (click on the chat button). Please feel free to call or chat soon.

    Take care,


    Leave a comment:

  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest started a topic Where can I go if I runaway?

    Where can I go if I runaway?

    I live in St Louis, MO. I have nowhere to go. I need to get out, but I have no plan as to where to stay. I do not want to stay on the street but if it comes down to it I will have to.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove