No announcement yet.

I need to get away

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need to get away

    Im 17 in Arkansas and my parents are divorced. My dad has full custody but i cant deal with him any longer it causes me so much stress him and my grandma are constantly trashing my mom and saying horrible things and i've been struggling with school as he doesn't believe me when i say music helps me focus and he doesnt let me be alone with any electronic device in my room which is hard because i need a quiet place to do my school and i just need to get out. i've been struggling with wanting to run away for a long while now and the only reason why i havent is i don't want to get my mom in trouble or be forced to go back and have to deal with him since he would be so much meaner to me if i ran. I have a best friend whose parents have said i'm more then welcome to live with them and i really want to. it would help me in so many aspects such as school and just my mental health in general. I've known my best friend and his parents for 3 years now and they're really nice i know id be taken care of there until im 18. what can i do? please help.

  • #2
    hello there,

    Thank you for reaching out to NRS. We want to let you know that we are proud of you for seeking help and we will support you as best as we can.

    It sounds like things have been pretty difficult with your dad and grandma. Please know that you do not deserve to be in an environment where you feel someone is being a bully or demeaning someone you love. It sounds like you have identified a good alternative to your situation with your friends family and it is certainly something you can explore further. One resource we recommend is ChildHelp, (1(-800-422-4453) or, an organization that helps protect minors and youth facing difficult situations. It may also be a good place to explore your options for staying with your friend’s family and transferring custody until you are 18, the age of majority in Arkansas. While it can be difficult to take the first step to change your difficult situation, it is always worth it and you are worth it! Please know that the people who truly love you and support you would never be unkind if you chose to leave a situation in order to help your mental health.

    Given the struggles you mention facing with school and classwork, we recommend reaching out to the mental health professionals who are staff at the school you attend. These are counselors and therapists who can help work with you and your teachers until your situation is in a better place and you can get back to focusing on getting your homework and exams done in a way that works for you- music included! They can also help you explore your feelings and talk you through your options as you undergo these transitions.

    We want to let you know that you are very brave for reaching out and for wanting to create positive change to better your situation. We are here to offer you any help or support that we can. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns we can help with!

    You can reach us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or through our live chat at We're available 24/7, and are always happy to listen, and to help.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp