No announcement yet.

Father issues

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Father issues

    my dad is abusive and sexually raping me when im 17 in a few months i plan to move in with my friends without them okaying it due to hearing from them that if i leave at 17 then they cant really d anything about it regarding making me come back home im in Topeka Kansas is this true? if i leave willingly?

    regarding "
    What Happens If I Runaway At 17. There is very little you can do to secure the return of your 17 year old that runs away voluntarily. You cannot call the police to force your 17 year old to return to your household because the child voluntarily ran away."

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. We are so sorry to hear that you have experienced sexual violence. You do not deserve to have this happen to you, and you deserve to be believed and supported.

    We are not legal experts, but we can speak generally on run away laws. 18 is usually the age you are able to leave home without permission. In most cases, your parents are able to report you as a runaway to local police if you leave home as a minor. However, as you mentioned some police departments are more lenient and will not enforce a runaway report for someone who is 17. Your local police department would have the most accurate information regarding their protocol as runaway laws can vary by state and county. You can anonymously call the police department for your area to ask an officer about this.

    If you have any additional questions or you are in need of support during this challenging time, reach out to our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY or through live chat at 24/7.

    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      Im 12 In a mentally toxic abuse home. I want to run away with my 2 bsfs who are in mentally abusive households but theyre 11. Sometimes my parents will hurt me physically. Im not going to file a report because my little brother loves them. I stay up till 4+ am crying and self harming because of many things one being my household. I sent a recording of my dad making a stupid argument to a gc and i tell him what he says (not qoute and qoute) I didnt know sharing convos was illegal (my apologies) I would not get into *** trafficking or steal. I want to leave in the next year and I believe I can save money for it. I just dont know where to go a city or country and when there where?
      Last edited by ccsmod5; 05-06-2021, 01:31 AM.


      • ccsmod5
        ccsmod5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

        Thanks for reaching out, we hope to help as best we can. In regards to running away, 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.
        Although if you feel unsafe in the home, there are resources that could help such as shelters. Most shelters have age requirements but if you reach out via call or chat we can search your area to see if any shelters around you take in youth around your age. In case of an emergency please do call 911, your safety is a priority.
        It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
        Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
        You mentioned being harmed but not wanting to report any abuse, we respect that decision but your safety is a number one priority to us. If you change your mind for any reason we want to make sur eyou have the resources you may need. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to child protective services directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button). We hope to hear from you soon.

        Stay Strong,
        Last edited by ccsmod5; 05-06-2021, 01:48 AM.

    • #4
      Im 15, I don't do very well in school, and I don't really have any social or physical skills. I'm usually in my room on yt or some other app. My father has called me useless, a waste of air, taking up space, etc. He's been getting more abusive bc of his relationship with his wife and kids. Idk what to do I have thought about running away due to this but i dont know how it would work out for me I don't have anyone I could rely on


      • ccsmod13
        ccsmod13 commented
        Editing a comment

        Thank you for contacting NRS. What you’re going through sounds really difficult. You deserved to be loved. In regards to the relationship with your father, if you would like to file an abuse report you can do that by calling or chatting us at the NRS website we are available 24/7 and are here to help. Another possible option could be reaching out to any adults that you feel comfortable bringing this issue up with. If you feel comfortable calling or chatting us we can provide more specific advice. We are here to help you. Thank you again for reaching out.

        NRS 1-800-RUNAWAY;
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp