Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im 17 but wanna move out at 18 but i live in alabama.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im 17 but wanna move out at 18 but i live in alabama.

So im 17 but i turn 18 on feb 20th. I live in alabama and ik the age thing is 19 but is their anyway i can leave at 18 without emancipation

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It takes great courage to reach out, and we are here to help you in any way we can.

You mentioned that you are hoping to leave home without emancipation. It can be very difficult to feel ready to be home, but it is hard to figure out the safest way. It sounds like you are already aware of the different laws in Alabama, but in case you would like to look over anything further, sexetc.org/action-center/sex-in-the-states/ is a great resource to look through the laws in different states. We are not legal experts, but our understanding is that leaving home before you have reached the age of majority is not illegal, it is just considered a status offense. This means it is something you cannot do simply because of your age. If you left home and your parents filed a runaway report, our understanding is that police will most likely just try to return you safely home if they do locate you. Sometimes they will involve a social worker to make sure the situation you are returning to is safe.

Some things that it is helpful to consider before leaving home is who you would stay with, how you would get there, and what you would bring with you. We are happy to talk through these questions with you, as well as provide resources if you call into us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or you can use our chat feature on our website, www.1800runaway.org. We are a 24/7, completely confidential crisis line. Here to listen, here to help.

Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X