A week or longer vacation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A week or longer vacation

Hi, not really running away but I'm tired of being locked away in my room never being able to go hang out with my friends whenever they make plans and I'm told I can't go cause my parents are very protective and sheltering if that's the correct way to describe it. Now and yet again I got denied going out with them so this time I'm planning on just going anyway I just want to make sure that even if they do contact the police that there's nothing they can do but wait till the trips over and I come back. I'm 19 in Alabama but the trip is going to be in Florida. Again it's just a trip I can live with them being lectured or whatever after just want to make sure legally I'm all clear.

Hey there!

Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step. It sounds like you've been feeling really restricted lately, and we're sorry to hear that.

That said, in your state, you're legally considered an adult at 19. This means that you do have the capacity to make decisions for yourself without parental consent. If you want to avoid potential police involvement, it might help for you to leave a letter before you go, or shoot your parents a text message or email letting them know that you're safe and when you'll be home. While you'd legally be in the clear either way, there's no need to get police involved when it could be avoided altogether with minimal communication efforts.

Beyond that, you might also want to think through whether you're comfortable with any consequences that might come from leaving without having a conversation with your parents first. Since it sounds like you rely on them to some extent in providing for you, it's worth it to think more about why they have the stipulations in place that they do, as well as if your housing will be compromised if you leave. For example, if they've been sheltering you more because we're in the middle of a pandemic and they want to minimize their exposure risks to everyone in your household, that's valid. If you decide to go to a high risk area and they don't allow you to return back to their home, do you have a plan? What if they do allow you back home, and you bring COVID back with you, spreading it to your family? Is that something you'd be comfortable with?

Obviously we don't know your exact situation, so just throwing out some potential scenarios that might get your wheels spinning a bit. If you'd like to chat in more detail, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY, or by chatting with us live at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Take care.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X