I'm getting really frustrated and I don't know what to do

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm getting really frustrated and I don't know what to do

My mom is really awful sometimes and so is my sister. My mom will yell at me for anything she can think of and ignore me when I tell her about any problems I have. About mid 2020 I started hallucinating and I was scared so I told her and begged her to get me a therapist. She ignored me about all of that and brushed me off until I tried to kill myself for the second time in January. Then she finally did something because a case with cps got open since I didn't go to a mental hospital afterwards. My sister will scream at me and hit me all the time. It's to the point where it doesn't feel like sibling rivalry it feels like it's a lot worse. One time she was mad I didn't put the tea back in the fridge and she shoved me onto the ground and kicked me in the stomach. I tell my mom about what she does and she always just brushes it off as sibling rivalry. About two weeks ago my mom was having issues getting her anti depressants because of insurance stuff and she took some of mine. I went to to park without telling her all day because I didn't want her to take the rest of my pills. If I ever come to her and say something about how itd be nice to have something new because what I have is broken she'll just go off on me about how if thats my only issue right now I have it so good I should just shut up and be happy. When I tried to kill myself I got scared and I told her but all she had to say was if I was so intent on killing myself then I should just go to bed because she obviously couldn't help me. And that was after ignoring my declining mental health for a full year! When I told her that hurt my feelings she just shrugged and said that she couldn't really do anything about it. I just wanna get away from everything here and I don't know what to do

Hey there. Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step. It sounds like things between you and your mom are pretty tough right now, and we're sorry to hear that. Addressing problems that we're having with our mental health can be really difficult when we don't have the support that we need, and it's understandable that this is really bothering you.

Based on what you described, it sounds like mom is dealing with some of her own mental health issues as well. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, if she isn't getting the help that she needs, it may be playing a role in how she's responding to you. It might help to see if you can talk with your therapist about how you're feeling, and to see if they're willing to see both you and your mom for a few family sessions. Perhaps even mom on her own as well. This could give you the opportunity to share how you're feeling with mom in a supportive environment with a professional helping facilitate that conversation.

We also want to take a moment to acknowledge that it's not okay for anyone to take your prescribed medication, whether you give them permission to or not. It's considered a misuse of drugs and is illegal. Not only could it be dangerous for mom, but it impacts the consistency in which you're able to take it, which could have a negative affect on you. For these reasons, you may be able to file an abuse report with your local Child Protective Services agency (CPS). If this is something that you're interested in doing, you can file a report on your own, by contacting us here at NRS for support, or by telling a safe person about what happened (like a teacher, school counselor, therapist, etc.). Each person that I've listed is considered a Mandated Reporter and has a legal obligation to contact CPS when there are any suspicions or indications of abuse.

If you'd like to chat in more detail about what's going on or learn more about how we can best support you, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or by chatting with us live at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Take care.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X