Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My mom kicked my 22 sister out, and she doesn't want to leave me alone with my mom.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My mom kicked my 22 sister out, and she doesn't want to leave me alone with my mom.

My om kicked my 22 sister out, and she doesn't want to leave me alone with my mom. She plans to move in with her friend, and taking me too.
    Recently, my mom woke my sister up to 'start packing'. My mom barely lets my sister hang out with friends, she has snuck out multiple times before because my mom won't let her do anything on her own. My mom won't let my sister hang out with her friends except for my mom's friends. My mom's locked my sister out before, slapped her, and makes her pay for my mom's things. All of this would've been prevented by my dad if he hadn't died from colon or skin cancer in October 2020. He would've gotten some sense into her, even if that included me waking up to a literal drama everyday. My sister hates the idea of leaving me here, she doesn't want me to deal with everything on my own. My sister is planning to move in with her friend, and to take me with her later. I'm worried about all this talk about runaway reports, I don't want to be with my mom

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you are in a stressful living situation. We are sorry to hear about the passing of your dad, as that seems to be making the situation more difficult for all involved. We appreciate you reaching out as we know that can be a difficult thing to do sometimes.

It is understandable that you would want to be in a different living situation given the experience you outlined in your post. We do encourage you to reach out either via phone (1-800-RUNAWAY) or via text (click the “CHAT” button on the top of our homepage). This allows for communication to ensure you have the information/resources you need to make an informed decision. It generally is more difficult to do this via the forum.

First, we are not legal experts, but we do have a lot of experience working with runaways and youths in crisis. That said, you brought up a runaway report, so I assume you are a minor. Given that is the case, running away is not illegal, however as you mentioned, your mom could report you as a runaway. While you won't get arrested or go to jail for running away, this could lead to the police returning you to your mom. Furthermore, the police could potentially charge whomever you are staying with for harboring a runaway (typically a misdemeanor offense, but depends on the state).

As previously stated, we do encourage you to reach out either via phone or text, so we can help comb through your options and help you make an informed decision. We are available 24/7 and are always happy to help.

Take care,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X