No announcement yet.

Need to run away from family

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need to run away from family

    My entire family has constantly used me as a punching bag, whether it be physically (punching and slapping), or mentally (calling me faggot, whore, suicidal, etc.) i'm sorry that i dont have a long message but my mother is in the other room and i dont want her to suspect anything.

    -R.B, 13, Missouri City Tx

  • #2

    Thanks for reaching out to us. We understand that it takes courage to ask for help, and we appreciate that you reached out to us. We are so sorry that your family has used you as a physical and mental punching bag. It is not ok for anyone to harm you or make you feel unsafe at home. You deserve to live in a space where you feel safe. It sounds like you are interested in leaving home. Although we cannot tell you what to do, we can share information that might help you figure out your next steps.

    Whether you can leave home depends on your age. If you are considered a minor in your state, the easiest way to leave home is with the consent of your parent or legal guardian. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents or legal guardians. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

    Whatever you decide, please know that we are here to support you. We cannot tell you what to do, but we will do our best to help you stay safe as you explore your options. You can reach us 24/7 by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), or via chat by visiting (click on the chat button). If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. We are here to listen, here to help.
    Stay safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp