No announcement yet.

I’m going to runaway once I’m 16 and move in with my uncles

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I’m going to runaway once I’m 16 and move in with my uncles

    Hi I’m Q, I tired of living in a toxic house and now it’s worse, I told my mother I was non binary and she took it calmly and didn’t speak to me for a week but once I cut my hair a little shorter she grounded me and I thought that was it but no, she came into my room the next day and hit me with a belt (repeatedly) and started talking about God, rape, I’ll never find happiness, how my family is broken, and neglecting me as her child. I do have some questions.
    1- if I runaway can I still go to school? I’ll runaway at 16 and have only senior year left.
    2- will the police find me or track me down?
    3- can I go on a train to Florida from New York/New Jersey?
    4- what will I need to get a job or to travel ( like my birth certificate or passport)

    thank you
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 04-05-2021, 08:02 PM. Reason: removed personal info

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to be vulnerable, and we appreciate you opening up to us. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

    It sounds like you’re in a stressful and potentially abusive situation, and we’re glad you’ve come to us. Everyone deserves to feel loved and respected in their home, regardless of your gender identity. What you are describing sounds like it could be verbal or physical abuse. If you ever feel unsafe at home, it’s always within your rights to report any abusive behavior. can be a great resource when looking to report abuse. Child protective services can also be a good resource as well (

    To answer your questions:
    1. If you run away and are reported as missing the police can look for you at school. It’s unlikely you can enroll in a new school, however if your uncle lives nearby you can continue to go to the same school.
    2. If your Mom or another guardian files a police report, they can find you and take you back into their custody. However, usually the police don’t actively look for runaways, but they do checkout addresses that are provided by your guardians. So if your mom knows where your uncle lives and tells the police to look for you there, they might check. You wouldn’t get in trouble as running away is not illegal, but your uncle might depending on the laws in your state.
    3. This may vary depending on the railroad company. Check the train’s website to see what their requirements are.
    4. To get a job you usually need your social security card and any banking information. In order to travel within the US, you’ll need some form of ID (driver’s license usually), or your passport to travel internationally. Obtaining a copy of your birth certificate before you leave will also be useful if you intend to enroll in college after you finish high school.

    To be frank, leaving home without parent permission is always tough. If there’s a way to get your mom to agree to let you stay with your uncle, it could ease a lot of the stress of trying to do things by yourself. However, it’s completely understandable that you’d want to leave given your current situation.

    If you would like to further discuss your options, we encourage you to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY and we can search for resources in your area.

    If calling is not feasible, you can also chat us at (click on the chat button).

    We hope this helped and take care!

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif