No announcement yet.

Runaway w/ Guardianship

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Runaway w/ Guardianship

    Hi. I'm 22 years old (just turned 22 yesterday) and want to run away. I live alone in a house my mom told me I had to live in, despite me protesting against living in a rural area that's MILES away from any town or city. However, she has legal guardianship over me so she says that what she says goes. My friends are planning an escape because i'm a legal adult, but i'm not entirely sure if that's true or not, given the ambiguous context of Guardianship. I do know that my mom prevents me from buying stuff with my disability money for my own comfort. She forces me to buy clothes from the men's section when i've repeatedly said i prefer girl clothes. She prevents me from going to any LGBTQ places to get information, and has been talking about sending me to 'conversion therapy' because of her disagreeing with my gender identity. As I said before, my friends are planning to help me out and get me back to a city where I can be more comfortable, but I was wondering about whether or not it's legal for me to leave my mom entirely out of contact while she has guardianship over me. Does she have as much control over my life as she says?

  • #2
    Hey there,

    Thanks so much for reaching out to us, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It sounds like your freedoms are very limited with your mom and it makes sense that you'd want to have more independence. We aren't legal experts here at NRS but it seems like there are some complications when it comes to guardianship. You may want to reach out to a legal aid group to see what can be done to remove this guardianship or changing your guardian to someone you trust. You may want to check out to find a legal aid group near you. You may also want to discuss conversion therapy with them as it is illegal in some states.

    It sounds like your mom is not accepting of your gender identity and it must be really hard. We know that coming out can be a scary process and it takes a lot of courage and you should be proud of yourself. We want to let you know that we fully accept you here at NRS. If you'd like some additional support by going contacting the National LGBT Hotline. You can reach them by calling 1-800-246-7743 or you can check out their website at

    We wish you the very best. Stay safe,


    We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey:
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp