No announcement yet.

Needing major advice

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Needing major advice

    Dear Forum
    Hi i'm Katelyn I'm 18 years old and I live in Carroll County Maryland. I live with my abuser my father is in his 60s and is narcisstic beyond belief. I mean most of my life has been him mentally ,emotionally ,and verbally abusing me. There was some physical abuse here and there but he denies all claims of anything. Even though what he did still hurts me. I've been going to counseling for 5 years and i've changed so much in a good way yet my father hasn't changed at all. I'm finishing up my senior year of high school online right now and being stuck at home with him constantly has made me realize so much. That i won't heal until i get out of this house because i will constantly be walking on eggshells on becoming like him which i've realized i have some toxic traits i need to fix that i have gotten from him. I just want to be free from this. I have been trying to get my drivers license and it keeps not happening. I have no one to help me and no where to go. things have gotten worse and worse recently in this past year because i actually stand up for myself.My mom even thinks its best if i find somewhere to go she doesnt want that she wants me safe but its not the safest at home.Honestly i'm getting really tired of this constant struggle and having to stay strong I really need a place where i'll be safe so please people give me advice i'm getting tired

  • #2
    We're so glad you reached out today. It does sound like you've been through some really tough stuff at home and your Dad sounds pretty terrible. Your goals of finishing school and getting counseling are so constructive and show you're trying really hard to take care of yourself. It maybe be that finding a Transitional Living Arrangement in your area would be very helpful. These are homes with young adults where they help you get on your feet with supportive services. That can be a useful alternative for you. The other option is to get a job after high school and get yourself setup to afford an apartment, often with roommates to share the cost, and start living independently.

    It takes courage to reach out and we're glad you did. We're here 24/7 and can discuss further if you'd like. We are available to talk about resources or just chat over chat at or over the phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929). Good luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp